We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito nets -- essential?

Martinez, CA
Level Contributor
89 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito nets -- essential?

Hello,

Just checking the hotels we're staying at in Bali for our late August trip. I realized that the only hotels that have mosquito nets for the beds are those without air conditioning. The rooms with AC seem not to have the nets.

Seems pretty logical -- if there is AC there shouldn't be reason to keep doors/windows open, thus fewer mosquitos will enter the room.

Still, does it seem "risky" to stay without the nets even if there is a/c? I'm pretty freaked out about getting Dengue (had it before, it SUCKS) so if the nets are essential then we'll look for different accommodations!

Hoping for some feedback...

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

I've stayed at at least one place which had both air-con and nets...Alam Asmara in Candidasa.

I think if you can spray your room/s before you go to bed at night and perhaps burn a mozzie coil during the night, it's all going to help. Also make sure during the day that you don't get bitten - seems the Dengue mosquitos like to hang around during the day.

Personally, I don't look for places with nets because they make me feel claustrophobic...so for us, we take our chances and do what we can to prevent being bitten.

All the best.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

in bali, as you said... air conditioning doesn't have nets and fans do but not always. some places just dont seem to get mosquitoes and some dont provide it.

i do a few things regardless of air con. fans, nets, or no nets,

1. use insect repellent on me esp. dawn and dusk

2. use a coil - though i think i'm poisoning myself as well.

3. cover up ie socks in early evening when needed.

4. insect spray the room if warranted.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

I don't think it's risky; many hotels have a/c but not mossie nets.

Make it your priority when you arrive to buy some room spray, you can easily and cheaply buy some large cans of Baygon from any supermarket or Circle K shop.

Before you go out on a night, spray the room, then leave the room (believe me, you don't want to linger after you've sprayed this stuff).

I'd also use mossie plug-in devices on a night, that use either those little blue tablets or liquid.

If dengue is your fear, don't forget to wear DEET-based repellent during the day and on a night.

If sitting outside your room in the evening, I'd burn some mossie coils, again readily available.

Martinez, CA
Level Contributor
89 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Looks like we'll be ok. We're bringing plenty of repellent and plan to cover ourselves up whenever outside (day or night). We've got some spray for the room and can buy some more there if needed. We also purchased a liquid plug-in vaporizer thingy that will also help keep kill anything in the rooms (hopefully not us!). We'll plan to pick up some coils to use if we sit outside on balconies, etc.

Hopefully the mosquitos won't be too bad at the end of August, but from what I've heard the rainy season as been slow to wind down in Bali, so I'm guessing the blood suckers will still be hanging around.

Thanks...

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

Hi craig201

Please don't forget that the dengue fever mosquitos are DAY TIME ones, not night time ones. I have heard them described by the Balinese as 9-5 mosquitos! They have a different appearance to the ordinary ones in that they have a striped body - tiger mosquitos. This is why it is important to wear repellent day and night.

I hope this helps

Cheers

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

You don't need both air conditioning and mosquito nets. Air-conditioned rooms are sealed and therefore mosquitoes don't get in, although most hotels supply plug in deterrents aswell. Rooms without air-conditioning often have gaps in the walls to allow increased ventilation so mosquitoes fly in and a net is essential. This is what I always find in Sri Lanka anyway and if anything, I still tend to get the occasional bite in a non-air conditioned room despite the mosquito nets, whereas in the air-conditioned ones WITHOUT net, I've always been fine.

It's worth travelling with some sticky tape to seal up any holes you might find in places where you are relying solely on a mosquito net, as few of them are perfect and I always tuck the net under the mattress too.

Sue

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

I always stay in airconditioned rooms and believe me they are not sealed. I get that buzz in my ear in the best of hotels.:)

8. Re: mosquito nets -- essential?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 06:18