We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Singapore
Level Contributor
131 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Some instructions on how to save money on calls/SMS when in Bali and also get internet (3G) for less than USD10. Good for those who are as helpless without internet on-the-go as I am! This is meant for people who are in Bali for a short holiday and not long-term stay. For info, I am using an iPhone 3GS, and I usually stay in Kuta or Seminyak when I am in Bali.

1. Buy a simpati 5000 sim card (sorry I am not familiar with the other operators). This can purchased from any little shop including shops that rent motorbikes, independent convenience stores (not Circle K though), mobile shops etc. I usually buy them at Kuta as the shops are everywhere. You will know it as they have signs outside advertising the sim cards or if you look in the display counter they will have the red Telkomsel sim card packets.

2. The sim cards are usually already pre-activated by the sim card seller. That is why the sim card packets are not sealed. The sim card is valid for only a limited period (less than 6 months? It also depends on whether you top up regularly, before the validity period ends. But anyway this is irrelevant if this is for one-time use.)

3. A Simpati 5000 sim card cost me IDR25,000 (not sure if you can get them cheaper? can;t remember how much it was on my previous trip). This includes IDR5000 credit. just to give you can idea how far IDR5000 goes - local SMS costs IDR100 and overseas SMS costs IDR600. Overseas calls on IDD are of course cheaper than using International Roaming. Receiving overseas calls on your simpati sim card is FREE.

4. If you need more than IDR5000 credit, you can ask the shop owner to help you top up the sim card e.g. I paid IDR22,000 for a IDR20,000 credit top up. So in total i paid IDR47,000 for a sim card with IDR25,000 credit.

5. Insert the sim card into your own cell phone. You should be on Telkomsel network.

Tip1: I always bring an extra cell phone for my own telco's sim card so that I can still see who's calling / receive sms, although I reply using the Simpati sim card to save $$ (international roaming charges are a killer).

Tip2: For those using iPhone and forgot to bring their eject sim card tray pin tool, safety pins (or even earrings!) will also work.

6. Dial *888# <dial/send/call> to check your remaining credit before you leave the shop, to ensure that the seller has topped up as promised.

7. Go to your SMS inbox and create a new message. Text "3G" (without quotes) to 3636 to enable 3G. You will get a confirmation message in Bahasa Indonesia, basically saying that 3G has been enabled. You should now see the 3G logo on your phone.

8. Text "flash on 10K" (without quotes) to 3636 to enable data and purchase a 15MB data block for IDR10,000. There are larger data blocks (e.g. 125MB data block for IDR50,000), keep typing "flash on XXK" to check the various sizes. Each time, you will receive a confirmation SMS in Bahasa Indonesia, translated- "You'll buy the 15MB package for RP.10000 (valid for 7 days). Type FLASH<space>YA to continue. Wait for a confirmation SMS."

9. Respond "flash ya" (without quotes) to confirm your purchase. You will get a confirmation SMS in Bahasa Indonesia, translated-"Rp.10000 TelkomselFlash package for 15MB (valid for 7 days) has been activated. Type FLASH<space>INFO send to 3636 for the status of your package." The flash info thing didnt work for me as i kept getting a "system is busy" reply. It would have been good to be able to track my usage.

10. If you don't have any idea how much data 15MB is, I managed to make 15MB last me 3 evenings of email, msn, facebook, and some basic surfing (e.g. checking tripadvisor for restaurants). I didn't use the 3G much during the day as I was out of range (out at sea).

11. My experience: I found the 3G coverage quite reliable in Kuta or Seminyak. The internet dropped to EDGE or GPRS once I ventured further e.g. to Amed. Don't plan on using your 3G for google maps to get to some remote area though, it's likely that there will be no connection at all. This happened to me when I was looking for a restaurant in Kerobokan area (Jl. Batu Belig). Despite its limitations, prepaid sim is really a very economical solution for internet-on-the-go and also for making local restaurant reservations and such. Good luck and hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
Kerobokan
Kerobokan
North Kuta, Indonesia
Batu Belig Beach
Batu Belig Beach
313 Reviews
Kerobokan, Indonesia
World Surfaris
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Bali Green Surf
Surfmania
153 replies to this topic
Frankston Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Thanks for that info...............I have printed it out for my daughter and daughter in law to use..................My daughter says she is leaving her i-phone at home as she is scared of losing it...She is taking her old phone instead.........

2 weeks to go...................Cold Bintangs on the beach......

2. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 12:35

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Very handy information. Thanks. I have also printed it out and will be taking it with me when I leave on Friday.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Hi smittenangel

Many thanks for all that info - now all I have to do is understand it!!!!

Cheers

AU
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

I just want to point out #3, if you purchase a Telkomsel sim card, all you pay is Rp.5,000 (inclusive of PPN/taxes) plus on top of that is a top up which any amounts you want really.

Just for information, Telkomsel has a great new Rp.5,000 sim card called simPATI Freedom.

More: http://www.telkomsel.com/web/simpati_freedom

AU
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

I forgot one more thing, if a sim number is unique or in high demand, the reseller can charge you more than advertised. That is how it works in Indonesia. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Thanks Smittenangel

Do you or anyone know if microsims are easy to come by as they are used in the new iPhone 4 and iPad - which am planning on taking instead of my laptop? Not a prob though as can just use in wifi areas - mainly taking for the long plane journey.

Perth
Level Contributor
175 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

I doubt you'll find a microsim in Bali

that said, Sim Cutters are available on eBay, they are like a single hole punch with the microsim shape on the cutter which quickly and easily cuts a normal sim card down to microsim size. They are only $20 or so

I've used Telkomsel for data on 4 different visits to Bali on my iPhone and they've been excellent value.

This time around, I have purchased a sim cutter and intend on buying two sim cards and having one in my iPhone 4 and the other in my iPad.

Please note, you'll need to set up the data service on a mobile phone before putting the SIM into the iPad.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

What is a “Simpati 5000 sim card”? Must say I don’t take much notice when purchasing a sim. Just ask for a Simpati Sim, pay my 50,000rp + top-up and off I go. Am I paying too much? If I connect to 3G can I then send MMS, haven’t been able to in the past? Can you still use “Special Prefix Number” for cheap calls with “simPATI Freedom sim”? Soooooooo many questions!

New York City, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali

Hi, thanks for the tips.

I am in Bali, I bought today a Simpati card for my iPhone 4. I cut it and it's working.

Now regarding the 3G, I sent the SMS 3G to 3636 and nothing. It drives me crazy, I tried to call the customer service 116 and it's not working.

Any chance to know why? Do I need to top up first?

D.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Reply to: 3G Internet on prepaid sim card (Telkomsel simpati) in Bali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted