We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Bali Story Part 2

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
My Bali Story Part 2

Photo is me in the pool.

I had found Villa Awang Awang on the net and spent month pouring over the photos hoping the views really were that beautiful and that it was as private as it appeared to be. I’m sure I drove the owner to distraction by sending endless emails asking detailed questions before I would commit to the booking.

So as I walked through those heavy timber doors the Villa had about six month’s worth of daydreams to fulfil.

Remember it is late, maybe even past midnight so the air is still and quite, but we are wide awake with excitement. The first thing I sense as I enter is charm, the first thing I think is YES!!.

My mother and sister are there already and they hurry towards us, I politely contain myself while the staff bring our bags in, they wish us a good night and the big timber doors are closed. Suddenly we are a group of kids in a lolly shop.

We... Have... This... Whole... Place... To… Ourselves!!! Can you believe it? We almost dance as we run from room to room.

“Are the rooms as beautiful as the picture?” I ask my mother “Yes! Come and look! We call this room the princess room” Mum walks around grandly waving her arm to and fro showing me the main bedroom. There is an amazing outside bathroom and stone bath, dressing room, four poster bed and glass doors that open onto the sweeping veranda “Oh mum you have to have this one” she is the mother after all.

Five grown women wander around with big silly grins, we are in Bali, our villa is all we had dreamt and we are sooo very clever to be here instead of a freezing cold Sydney.

Everywhere I look there are gorgeous rich timbers, natural looking tiles, splashes of colour in flowers and materials, hot oranges, violets and deep pinks. Day beds covered with dark traditional weaves. There is a steep and scary little staircase that tightly winds down to the next level, extra scary after a couple of drinks but very much to my liking in its quirkiness.

Down stairs is a long timber dining table….. ok, ok, that’s enough. I could go on and on describing the villa in detail but for me it’s the ambience of a place that counts, you can have the most amazing hotel in the world and if it has no heart it has nothing.

‘Our’ villa has that something special, the name of the Villa Awang Awang means floating between heaven and earth, need I say more.

We pick out our rooms with the intention of swapping rooms each night so we can all have a go of the ‘princess room’ But in the end we find the living areas so gorgeous that we only ever sleep in our rooms, although I keep on sitting on my bed and looking at the view whenever I walk past, just because I can

The infinity pool hangs over a pitch black valley and I hear the roar of the river below. I grab my costume I just have to be the first one in that amazing pool, as I’m floating around in the water I see my first firefly…. Bliss.

I can’t actually see the view its way too dark, I leave my curtains open and in the morning I awake early, the valley is lush and green with a curtain of mist that slowly clears….

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Oooooh, Tannalee, now I need a box of tissues...what with a firefly, a princess room, flowers, and all those lucious colours......and what a name....somewhere between heaven and earth...we are all heaven at the moment.....thankyou. Soo

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Hi!

That sounds sooooooooo beautiful and dreamy!! More please!!!

(And soon)!! lol

wendy

Mandurah, Australia
Level Contributor
225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

wow,Tannalee,your description of your villa ,makes me wish i was there.going to have a look at there web site now.cant wait till you next story

Edited: 05 August 2010, 11:00
perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Yay, it was just as I imagined it would be!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Tannalee, at the rate you are writing, by the time you finish, you would be on your way to another trip to Bali.

I'm not from this forum but i do pop in once in a while and read JBR, yours are really GOOD!!!. Cant wait for part 3.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Tanalee great part 2 and waiting eagerly for part 3.

Just went and had a peek at the villas website, looks magnificent, I have to find people to travel with me next time, a bit too big for good old me...

I must say part of me wants you to stop, it is cruel for those of us not going back for a while ;).

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AU
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Hi Tanalee,

Bravo! I can only applaud your installment about your trip reports which always a joy to read. Your description from the beginning to the end makes me feel I was there with you.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it. I can hardly wait for your next TR.

Cheers,

Sabai1

Edited: 05 August 2010, 13:23
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Beautiful, beautiful writing Tannalee. I'm crying, I'm reading it to my husband, crying. He's laughing at me!!

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Bali Story Part 2

Beautifully written Tannalee like others I can't wait for the next part. Don't take too long.

cheers harro