We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best repellant to buy in Australia which mossies absolutely HATE?

My sister who is a very outdoorsy person has been using a treatment for years for mossie bites - which she swears by - an equal part of baby oil, dettol & metho dabbed on the bites. She says they will be gone by the next day.

But I would really like a repellant that scares the mossies so they WON"T BITE!

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Sandy

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Hi Sandy

Bushmans DEET seems to be the go these days. It's readily available from pharmacies. I am one of those fortunate people who have very little trouble woith mozzies but still take it every trip and use it on the kids.As a whole, they stay away from us. I believe there is different strengths ( 20%, 40%) and some people find the stronger one a little too strong for them. Check it out anyway. (Working on my other reply to you)

Australind
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

You can also buy the Bushmans range in Coles now where it is a bit cheaper.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

I just picked up a tube for my next visit to bali - you can get original bushmans or bushmans with sunscreen for $8.90 at chemist warehouse.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Hi Sandy,

Bushmans deet definitely & don't forget mossie coils. Only thing deet wiil remove nail polish so don't rub on those beautiflul "Beauty Nails". Shall be sending you an email before you leave on shops & restaurants you may wish to visit, a friend at work has just got back.

Shall let you know when I'm getting my nails done. Hopefully see you before you leave I'm sure you are doing a count down!

Cheers Deb xx

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Thanks all - Chemist Warehouse will get plenty of business from me soon:

Bushmans Mossie Repellant

Imodium

Stematil

Travelan

Etc, Etc....

DeeDee - thanks for that.

Deb - will be in touch in a few days.

Cheers,

Sandy

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
958 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Hi

Hope you don't mind me asking a follow up question. I got my 50% deet repellant yesterday but couldn't see any mossie coils. Is this something readily available in Bali and if I get them where do I put them (no rude answers please!)? Would they be effective on the balcony of our hotel room or do they really need to be used in your room?

Ta!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

HI troubleonline

You can buy mosquito coils at any supermarket in Bali - they are readily available but, depending on where you stay, you may find that your accommodation already has them and will light them every night around sunset. You can also buy mosquito repellent in Bali - I always buy "Off' in aerosol cans as it is much easier to apply than creams etc - just a quick spray before you go out in the morning or evening - i have never had a problem with mosquitos.

You can also buy Silver Clove Balm which is just great to relieve the itching if you do get bitten.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Hey Sandy

I wouldn't bother spending large $$ on imodium etc at home, buy whatever you need in Bali, it's so much cheaper. Perhaps at home you could buy Bushman's repellant with DEET.

Have a great time.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

Heavens,

Most of the stuff is easily available at one of the numerous pharmacies for a fraction of the cost.

BTW, we always use Autan, a local brand of local repellant that works wonders for local mosquitoes.

Happy planning.

perth
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have mossy bite treatment - need best repellant!

i always buy in bali, at any supermarket or circle k, soffel.

it is a pump spray one. autan is good too. soffel costs about one dollar.