We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One life

wollongong
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One life

"Hi, I am Wayan and I will be your tour guide for Git Git waterfall"

Wayan was about 10, bronzed and skinny in that balineses way.

His thousand megawatt smile dared us to disagree with his lofty premise.

He skipped along the path in front of us, turning to deliver his oft repeated spiel.

He pointed out the trees and plants , and explained their medicinal uses. As we turned a steep curve, he wandered accross to an ice cream vendor and said.

"You like ice cream, its very hot day!"

Further down, Wayan pulled us toward a stall, selling satin dressing gowns in the middle of a balinese forest.

" You buy here, good morning price" So young, so skllled.

I observed the wooden penises. Who teaches these people these things? It cheapens the stall.

It defines the Western influence.

Wayan smiles again, and I drift out of the moment.

He says " Do you know the story of Git Git Waterfall?"

I wonder what Wayan will be doing in ten years time. Will he be found in a darkend Legian gang with a needle in his arm?

Will he live in a cramped apartment with 20 like balinese?

Will he drive taksis for 14 hours a day, and sleep in one roadside?

Wayan skips over the rocks to the first pool.

He is no longer our tour guide.

He has our money. He is happy and free

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One life

And there is always the distinct possibility that Wayan will not have a needle is his arm, or be living with 20 others in 1 crowded room, but be a successful businessman with a fabulous and very functional family. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One life

Hmmmm, thinking........................................

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One life

I'm hoping Wayan will turn out just the way Linda described!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One life

Gosh, why would you perhaps see a vision of such a bleak future for this him...

Edited: 10 September 2010, 00:29
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One life

Or perhaps, like our driver, he'll get knocked down and get up again, get knocked down and get up again, and keep his wonderful pride in himself and his bali, and keep his positive focus for the future.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,618 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One life

This is a rather strange topic to post on this forum. I like all the others wish Wayan a happy, healthy and successful life.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One life

I took Noel's post to be thought provoking, not a "true" story but something for tourists and visitors to think about. All the negatives in the story are all from tourist or western influence and here is a young Balinese boy, being a child and happy and smiling and carefree, but worldly wise when it comes to tourism and it's outside influences. Just how far do we want this influence to go?

australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One life

I won't be worried too much --he may not ever have the same material possessions we have, nor get to travel as much, nor go to the same quality of school but I bet he will have a much happier life than most of us who seem to "have it all" but still want more.

Appreciate this post -- hopefully everyone who visits Bali has a moment of reflection like you did and treats the Balinese with the respect they deserve instead of belittling them

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,211 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One life

For both Mr Soo and I, who work with young people here in the North West, the reality of situation I believe, is that we are more likely to see such grim futures for many Australian children, then those in Bali. I believe that any children who are motivated and enterprising enough to be out there earning a rupiah or two, have to be in a good position to make a good go at life.

However, I would love to see all those Balinese children given the opportunities children do here, especially when it comes to their education..now that's something to work on.

Edited: 10 September 2010, 01:48
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One life

I really enjoyed your story; it has been many years since I went to Git Git waterfall, I hope that when we return in January there is someone selling silk robes in the middle of the forest, I like that idea.

I feel sorry for Wayan though and rather giving him a sad life, I imagine him dreaming of his own future, and being in control of his destiny to some point at least.

Later in the day Wayan has a group of family members laughing so hard at his silly tourist stories that they have tears rolling down their faces. His mother finally tells him that’s enough, dinner will be ready soon and he needs to go and find his little sister.

He wanders outside the family compound but only makes it as far as the front steps where he plonks himself down, the stones still warm from the sun. Wiggling his toes in the dust he feels pleased with himself, both for the money he bought home and the fact that he made everyone laugh.

Wayans mind wanders.

When the family dog slinks over he reaches out and scratches it behind the ears, yuk there is a big scab, he pulls the fur apart so he can have a good look thinking that maybe he could be a vet when he grows up, at that moment the dog lets out an awful smell and Wayan decides that a vet is not such a good idea.

Maybe he could save up and buy a car become a tourist guide like his uncle Made, hmm maybe not.

Now and then a passerby will call out a casual greeting; Wayans raises his hand and answers with a warm and open greeting of his own.

The air starts to chill as the sun goes down and he tilts his head to the side capturing the light at different angles, he could always be an artist.

“Wayan!” A woman’s voice calls from inside, Wayan jumps up and starts calling for his little sister. When he catches the smell of cooking coming from inside his compound he realises how hungry he is and hopes they will have chicken tonight.