We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Topic
DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Hi everyone

It is getting down to the wire now, and I am starting to think of all these questions.

We are flying virgin this year to Bali, (1st time with Virgin) and I just have a couple of questions from some of the more experienced travellers on here. Firstly can we take our own food on board, I have 2 kids and was hoping that I could take some noodles or easy mac and they might be kind enough to give me some hot water for these?

When we return we fly via melbourne, and I am wonderingg if we would be transit passengers and our luggage willl go all the way to Adl, and we go through customs at home here in Adelaide, or if we need to go through customs in Melbourne?

Hopefully someone can help with these questions

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

By no means am I an expert on this but I will give it a go from previous experience:

In regards to Virgin, fantastic carrier, have been twice before to Bali with them and about to go again. On the food side of things I dont know about the Easy Mac and getting hot water, at a guess I would think it would be a no, purely as they have food to offer. Like when you dine out you dont take McDonalds into an Italian resturant. However, I have a little one and do take a back up snack, cheese and cracker and cut up fruit. But Like I said I am no expert on this and they may be fine with you taking you meals on the plane.

With the coming home part, I am pretty sure we had to get our bags go through customs then it was a domestic flight back to ADL. But things might have changed, it was a few years ago now. Maybe check your ticket and see if you melb - Adl flight has you coming through the international terminal?

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers, H

Somerville...
Level Contributor
56 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Hey there.

I have never flown with Virgin Blue so my advice rests purely on my other experiences. I am 98% sure that you will be allowed to take food onboard, like snacks such as what hdettmann has suggested; crackers and cheese. However I am pretty sure that hey would find it rude for you to ask them for hot water, but in saying that--if you make friends with one of the attendants, i'm sure they could "pull a few strings".

As for the connections. In my previous experiences, you will disembark the aircraft, your bags will be kept on the plane (or moved if changing planes), and you will clear immigration then reembark the plane for takeoff. That is if you are DEPARTING the country. If you are ENTERING Australia (via Melbourne), you will collect your bags at Melbourne, clear customs and Immigration, then check back in for a domestic flight to Adelaide.

If you cant understand any of my ramblings, just let me know and I'll clear it up. Enjoy your trip.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
226 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Hi, you can buy a chicken noodle meal (the "just add water ones" like you mentioned on board for $5). I just checked the onboard menu (Search "food" on the Virgin Blue site) to be sure as I thought I'd seem them before. I suggest you take one with you, and play it by ear. If they say no to giving you hot water, you can buy one if they like chicken ones - I know how fussy some kids are (ours!!). You have to put all purchases on credit cards now on the international segments.

We've flown Adel- Bali twice on Virgin now (and going again in Nov) and they are great.

I'm sure that coming back thru Melbourne, you'll go thru customs there and then need to check in luggage again for Melbourne to Adelaide.

Enjoy.

Cheers Duncan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Tks everyone for your replies .....

I think I will take the noodles with me, and just see how I go, it looked on the Virgin flight and given my daughter is an anaphylactic then it says you can bring yr own food. I will take chips and fruit as well ....

As for the stopping in Melbourne, I have looked on my itinerary and it says "transit time" in melbourne, so I am hoping tht is wahat it means and theat we will go through customs in Adelaide.

8 sleeps to go !!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

When we flew jetstar to Phuket via Sydney to Adelaide we had to go through customs in Sydney and then they take your bags from you and send onto adelaide and then you wait for your flight to adelaide (so you don't have to lugg suitcases around with you and do the whole check in thing again). Its a special transit lounge for people returning from overseas but going via another Australian city first, so I suspect this is what you will have to do too. We flew direct to bali with virgin last time but this time coming home via brisbane so I guess will so a similar thing. In sydney we had to catch a special bus between the two terminals after we went through customs and checked our baggage in for the next flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

Hi TravelGurus_3,

Please don't hang on to the hope of going through customs in Adelaide on your way home there. You will have to clear customs at Melbourne International with your luggage first, before you connect to your domestic flight.

We have flown from Denpasar to Melbourne with Jetstar and Virgin Blue, stopping in Darwin with Jetstar and Perth with Virgin. Both times we had to collect our luggage and clear customs before our domestic flight to Melbourne.

If going via another Australian city when departing Australia it is different, as also already mentioned by others who have replied.

All the best

7. Re: DPS-ADL, Virign Blue flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 04:18