We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Wellington
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Topic
Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

We are flying next week and I have not booked accommodation yet.

I would like to split the stay. I only have 7 days.

I was thinking 3 days Ubud area.

4 days somewhere else: with a beach I can snorkel off decently (not too shallow, for accomplished snorkellers), a beautiful beach, lush green vegetation. We are a couple. We like it quiet. Not interested in nightlife or shopping.

It is our first time in Bali so we also want to see the major natural and cutural sights.

My husband wants to do a sunfish dive. Do all operators offer those?

We plan to rent a car to drive around. Is it easy enough to get around from one side of the island to the other for day trips?

In Ubud I would also be looking for a quiet place to stay. I was planning to stay 1 night at the Elephant safari park. Would like to stay longer but it is so damn expensive. Is it easy with leaving your luggage when you stay one night here, one night there. Or is that maybe too much hassle?

I would be happy about any help. Thank youy so much!

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Maybe have a look at Amed on the east coast, several beaches where you can snorkle directly from the beach. Some beaches are coarse white sand, others black volcanic sand & others pebbly. So not exactly beautiful beaches but the ocean views are wonderful in places. It's fairly dry & arid though but you'll find lush green vegetation in nearby areas such as Sidemen or the rice terraces near Tirtagangga. There are very few shops, no ATM's, the local people are friendly & you'll see local daily life happening all around you.

I wouldn't recommend renting a car in Bali, if you do a search on the forum you'll find out that it's generally not a good idea. A car & driver will cost approx 400,000 - 500,000 a day. You can then sit back relax & enjoy the scenery.

If you're interested in Amed PM me with your email & I'll send you some more info.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

The main snorkeling areas in Bali are Amed, Blue Lagoon, Menjanan Island in the north and Lembongan Island to the east.

Unfortunately, I think you are going to be disappointed in that none of these areas will also give you the lush green vegetation that you are also so looking for. I think you need to change your thinking when it comes to your idea of Bali's beaches and what the reality is.

Rule of thumb...........Lush and green are inland and in the mountains where they get more rain. Coastal areas are drier, sparser (in some cases actually almost arid).

Amed and the northern areas actually mostly all have black sand beaches although the snorkeling can be excellent off the beach.

In the top questions about Bali Section (top right hand corner of the Bali Forum Page) there is a link to some photos of some of Bali's beaches. Have a look there and see what area best suits your vision. But also be aware that the beautiful beaches like Padang Padang and others on the Bukit Penninsula are surfing beaches. No snorkling I"m afraid.

My suggestion for snorkeling would be a couple of nights on Lembongan Island, hire a local with a boat who does snorkeling trips. Fantastic.

But with only a week to go, you really need to get cracking on booking something or it will be a case of what you can get, rather than what you want, I'm afraid.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

We've snorkelled at Amed , several spots along the coast there. As the saying goes it's not the Barrier Reef but nice. The area is much drier than the hinterland so may not meet the "lush" wish.La Nina may have taken care of that though.

People generally cite Menjangan(off Pemuteran) as the best snorkelling in Bali. Also look at Blue Lagoon, near Padangbai and Nusa Lembongan(you could stay one night Padangbai and two on the island say, as the ferry leaves from Padangbai.

Bali doesnt really have "beautiful beaches" in the way, say, Australia or Thailand does,imo. The sand is generally volcanic though there are some white sand beaches, but not the tropical idyll kind of feel.The sea is still lovely at any time though.

Ubud is a great base for seeing the mountains, culural sights etc though liking it quiet you could think about staying outside the centre which I hear is heavily touristed and trafficked at present...

I personally wouldnt be driving around on my first trip there. Getting places with hire car and driver isnt really that much more expensive and then you can just relax. The traffic can be very daunting and taking backroads is real fun but you can get lost very easily.

Kuta, Bali
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

just wrote a blog post with some suggestions!

…blogspot.com/2010/08/adventure-island-bali-…

hope this is of use!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

This is a good article that was in the Bali advertiser last month; baliadvertiser.biz/articles/…snorkeling.html

Lembongan Island or just south of Candidasa would be my recommendations, BTW the drive from Ubud to Candidasa is very lush and beautiful..

To see the sunfish you really have to dive - not snorkel - they are down too low.. one of the best places to see these is Lembonagn, it is famous for it.. There were a bunch there when I was snorkeling there once, but as much as I tried I couldn't see them!

Hope this helps,

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Best place to go for the sunfish is to do a boattrip from Sanur. However don't get your hopes up too high. (Good) snorkeling from the beach is not really common in Bali. You will have decent snorkeling from Permuteran beach and the best snorkeling is from Tulamben beach (liberty wreck). There are some hotels and the snorkeling is (much) better than at Amed.

Don't count on nice beaches though.

Wellington
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Wow! thanks that's great information. Just a few short questions regarding hiring a driver. How much is this roughly per day? Does it matter where we drive? I was wondering if I do hop form hotel without stress and hire a driver - Does he stay with the car all the times and watches my luggage? (e.g. if I drive from Ubud to the east coast and do some touristy things on the way and have all my things in the car? Because what to do with the luggage if I stay at different locations during the week is the major thing I worry about. Also, does it matter if I have the driver one way? Thank you again!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Drivers are the easiest things to find in Bali, just walk outside your hotel, LOL.

If you want to organise a driver before you leave we have a list of recommended drivers in the Top Questions about Bali Section (top right hand corner of Bali forum page).

Otherwise just hire one off the street. We generally recommend a price of 50,000 an hour (and if it's one way, remember he has to get back with an empty car). One way trips are not a problem.

Luggage theft is not a problem outside the City of Denpasar in Bali. Your driver will normally stay in or close to his car while you are not there. If you do want him to accompany you into a site, simply locking his car will be sufficient. We do it all the time.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

Hi,

sunfish are difficult to see. His best bet would be to join a group diving off Nusa Lembongan. Thats where we usually spot the Mola mola.

I have dived with Absolute Scuba. They are reliable with good equipment and divemasters. They are in both Sanur and Padangbai.

Good luck.

Wellington
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent: Best place to stay for snorkelling and lush nature?

How about doing the following itinery:

2nights in Ubud, 1night at the Elephant Hotel in Taro; then 1 night Nusa Lembogan or Tulamben and the last 3 nights in Sanur or Amed

What do you think?

Or might that be too stressfull?

Thank you so much - you are all great!