We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

No other place I have ever visited has inspired me so much.

I read about Bali every day on forums and news snippets, I google search new possible villas to book and tours to go on next time.

Back home I talk to everyone I know about how much I love Bali.. I drive them crazy.

I think I have the disease Bali Brain!

I visited Bali for the 1st time 4 yrs ago and fell in love with the place and have been back 5 times since

I still cannot put my finger on why or what particularly draws me back again and again.

I love the place so much after visiting Bali and been with my partner for 13yrs we are getting married there next year.

Almost subconsciously I had been waiting to discover Bali to make the big plans and get married.

Is it the people, the food, the weather or the culture the beautiful architecture, the shopping, the villas from heaven, massages, walking around without a care in the world, visiting temples, meeting new people, bargaining, lounging around, getting my clothes back from dry cleaning with a smell so nice I cannot describe..... I think its something I will never put my finger on.

I know Bali has awoken something within me that will keep me coming back time after time.

Bali is a place that to me really is the island of the gods!

Keep up the great work fellow Bali lovers I love reading this forum each day, It seems to keep my Bali addiction slightly at bay till my next visit.

Matt

Edited: 21 October 2010, 13:05
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Thanks for sharing that beautiful sentiment. It's wonderful that you love Bali so much.

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

I agree 100%, people ask me all the time what it is I love so much about Bali and it is hard to put a finger on it. I think its just a feel you get about a place that makes you feel welcome, at home and excited all at the same time. It is a combination of the warmth, the people, Bali time, great food and being completely comfortable and at peace. It really is the only place that I truly relax and feel at peace.

Best wishes for your wedding next year, I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

thanks Matt I too can not put it down to one thing why I keep wanting to return.... I am going back next year with friends and family I think some are coming just to see what I keep talking about. There is that sense that you just need to get back there, such beautiful people there. Congrats on your up coming wedding!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Yes Matt, I understand exactly what you mean. Went to Bali first time 5 years ago, fell in love with this paradise island and have been there twice a year since. I have already booked accommodation for Feb & August next year. Been to quite a few SE Asian countries but no place has touched my heart as much as Bali. All the very best wishes for a wonderful wedding!!

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Hi Matt,

Feel exactly the same! The green is more greener than anywhere else in the world, (and it's already my favourite color) the people, nature, ambiance, I really don't know.

Last summer my husband wanted to try "something else", so we went to

Cambodia and Thailand. I think the beaches on Thailand were more swimmable for our kids, the food was delicious, maybe better than on Bali, they clean their rubbish better, but....

I really missed Bali a lot, and nearly immediately after returning, I started searching for our next holiday to Bali! Still 9 months to go......and already booked everything and are now only still looking for a good priced ticket.

Am also very addicted to find all kindsof internet pages about Bali, google earth, Tripadvisor, zoover....

There are worse things to be addicted to, it only cost you a fortune, especially with a family of 4 coming from Europe!

And like you said, you cannot explain it to somebody who doesn't feel the same way, fortunately my whole family likes it too, it was my busband who started going to Indonesia in 1993, and after this first trip he went every year with a friend (I wasn't going by that time, cannot imagine it now, but I preferred working....) But after having seen his photos, and four years later, I went for the first time in 1998....and fell in love too!

From time to time my husband talks about emigrating to Bali, but we have kids now (6 and 10), so I feel a lot of doubts about it. But in my heart, if I hadn't kids, think the decision was already made....

Maybe later, when we are old and grey....

Enjoy Bali, and let a lot of people stay in other places, so it won't become too crowded there....

Regards,

Sylvia

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

O, and Matt,

Forgot to wish you a beautiful wedding day, and a long and happy marriage,

Sylvia

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Matthew - The Sentimental Bloke!

Love it!

Cheers

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Don't take this personally Reenie cos you used the word... but I can't 'do' the paradise concept here- there's lots of real world problems, serious problems. But I know what you all mean about falling in love...

Every day something hits my heart, makes me laugh, reminds me I'm feel human. I don't have much to do with the wonderful villas etc, it's not my world- but the everyday surprises, the people... I'm living some people's dream I guess, that I actually live here now... and I never regret it for a day. For me it's not just Bali either... it's being in Indonesia. I feel a real surge when I see the Indonesian flag, which surprises me every time. I love feeling that there's so much to learn here, so much knowledge and skill and richness.. and I love living in a place where the daily practice of shared spirituality is so natural, so gracious, and inclusive. (Though the obligations of the endless round of ceremony can be onerous on locals, and I am in a privileged position of course, being able to dip in and out, in a way they can't)

The downside of being able to live somewhere I love so much, and feel so at home in- even though I will always be a 'tamu', is that I actually have panic attacks when I have to leave, in case somehow I can't come back.. something happens and I get 'exiled'. I have to go away for a bit in 6 weeks and I can already feel the awful wrench/anxiety.

Edited: 21 October 2010, 18:01
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Welcome to the club Matthew, consider yourself lucky Bali is on your "Doorstep".... imagine from my perspective ;)

Newgabe, probably living there changes your perspective and you see the other side on a daily basis.

I know lots of people think it's amazing to live in Ireland as it's a wonderful place. My answer is invariably : You're kidding right ?

As for Bali although I love going there on holiday, I'm not sure I'd love living there full time. Unless I win the next Euromillion Lottery at 130 Million Euros.

Sydney
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why have I fallen in love with Bali?

Ahh another convert. I first stepped of a plane in Bali when I was 18. Now at 52, and some 35 trips later, I still get that silly smile when I first set foot in the airport. Hard to describe to people who haven't been to Bali, but all of us who check out TA every day for our Bali fix, just nod wisely and see ahh yes another one!