We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Ok, Here is a short list of places I ate with very short comments! I am sure that I have forgotten some but this will do for a start I hope. It never ceases to amaze me just how lucky we are in Bali with the standard of the restaurants and the food in general, whether it be the most expensive places or the cheapest warung you can find. We are so spoilt for choice it is fantastic. You feel like Balinese, Indonesian, Chinese, Thai, French, Japanese, Indian, vegetarian, Italian, Modern Australian, Asian fusion ??? No problems you can find it all and more!

I am putting them in alphabetical order, not order of preference!

Once again people will not always agree with my opinion, thank goodness, or the world would be a dull place!

I am always more than happy to check out other suggestions and I know that most of these are found in the northern areas of Legian, Seminyak, Kerobokan, Petitenget and Canggu but that is the area that is near home!

Here goes!!!

The Beach House – usually go here for the seafood barbecue and the atmosphere but this time went for lunch and was disgusted by the quality of the goats cheese salad I ordered – sent it back, refused to pay for it and went to Deus for a great cappuccino instead. Will still go there for barbecues on Sunday night though as they are great fun and I love the music.

Biku - well, I think the only meal I haven’t had here is breakfast! Lunch, high tea and dinner are the meals I have had many, many times at Biku. If I feel like sandwich, I go here, or a hamburger, or a beef Rendang or a chicken curry or even a meat pie (which my husband has had) or a chicken salad, The range of food is extensive and the high tea is mouth watering. It is a tea salon but they have one of the best cappuccinos in Bali.

Café Wayan – Ubud . People rave about this restaurant and I have been there years ago and have never been overly impressed so thought we’d give it another try. The garden dining area is beautiful but really, I find that the food is very average.

Chandi – this restaurant is another where the mixture of flavours is just fantastic. The service is always good and I never tire of eating here. The cocktails aren’t bad either! Great atmosphere but you must book or you risk not getting a table. Another one of our favourite haunts.

Delicious Onion – very disappointing food – well, ok, but really nothing to rave about. Cocktails weren’t very good either. We have been there twice now and won’t bother again – there are too many good restaurants around.

Deus – new restaurant that has opened in Canggu on the way to Echo Beach. It is part of one of the new wave of ‘lifestyle’ store which have a gallery, shop, restaurant etc etc. Very pleasant breeze nearly all the time on the verandah and the frozen mint and lime mocktail is not to be missed. The Thai prawn salad is lovely for lunch.

Kafé Batan Waru – just on the Kuta side of dsiscvoery Centre – try the Chicken Rica rica or the Satay Ayam – they are both fantastic. Our favourite restaurants when we are down this way shopping. There is also a Batan Waru in Ubud and the owners also own Terazzo, Cinta Grill Siam Sally and are great caterers (Bali Good Food).

Café Marzano – Jl Double Six – lunch here was very, very ordinary and they don’t seen to make much of an effort unfortunately.

Chinese Renon – great food here, cheap and cheerful. You can BYO here as the only alcohol they only sell is beer.

Corner 66 – on the opposite corner to Café Marzano – good lunch and free WiFi. Nothing really exceptional but reliable.

Embun – another organic restaurant that has recently opened on the back road to the Canggu Club. Once again I ate salad as I was there for lunch but it was very pleasant. They grow many herbs and other vegetables in the garden for use in their restaurant.

Grocer and Grind – I had a hamgurger here which was very ordinary (not in the same class as the ones at Biku I’m afraid), also breakfast one day which was very good – the range of choice on the breakfast menu is amazing and the coffee this time was good – it so depends on the barista, doesn’t it, as the one I had another day was not good.

Harry Juku. I believe there is a new chef here and that the food is good. We went for a quick dinner – pizza and tomato and mozzarella salad – to it’s a bit hard to judge the cuisine really. The pizza is very small and you really need one per person.

Jemme. Good food and the great thing about this restaurant is that it is one of the few in Bali that is air-conditioned which is lovely on a really hot day or evening. Personally, I hate the décor – too tizzy for me!

The Junction – this place looks like a giant wooden crate since the renovations but the décor inside is great – very clever and well thought out. The food is good too, although once again only went there for lunch so had a chicken salad – great baguette sandwiches here too. My coffee was sent back as it was just terrible – hopefully that was just a one-off.

Kudeta – only went there for breakfast and lunch this time which I prefer as I am over crowds and too- loud music. Still expensive though but their set menu breakfast is good value.

La Lucciola – remains a firm favourite – the location is stunning and must be one of the best in Bali. Great place for a romantic meal, as long as you go late enough for most kids to be in bed! I do wish that parents would exercise a little control over their dear ones in an expensive restaurant such as this. Anyhow, once again the food never fails to disappoint and the service is impeccable. This restaurant did have a ‘down’ period a few years ago but is now back to top form.

Made’s Warung – this Balinese institution is undergoing a huge makeover and the complex will look fabulous once finished. Just ate a salad here this time although have often had their Nasi Campur Special which I find to be excellent.

Mannekepis – great Belgian restaurant with lovely ambiance. Their steaks here are very tasty as is there mango and chicken salad. If you have a cappuccino make sure that you specify if you want it made with cream or milk.

Mie 88 – terrific inexpensive Chinese Noodle restaurant in Petitenget nearly opposite Metis – there is a very nice dining area out the back looking onto the paddy fields and away from the traffic.

Metis – I love this place. Ok, the atmosphere isn’t the same as the old Kafe Warisan but it still feels like home to me – the food is excellent, rates among the best in Bali and the service fantastic. I also went to their 1st birthday celebration dinner and it was a fantastic night with very good food and terrific entertainment, including the French CanCan! I think I went about 6 times to Metis this trip!

Naughty Nuri's I went to the NNs in Ubud, not in Batubelig as I was there for lunch and the new one in Batubelig at that time was not open for lunch but I think it may be now. I had grilled chicken which really tender with a delicious sauce and the others had the famous pork ribs which they loved.

Nirvana – great restaurant and serves a fantastic steak with a Café de Paris sauce – the lamb shanks are delicious too! One of our favourites in Eat Street.

Om – new organic (again!) restaurant just next to the beach car park at Echo Beach directly opposite the Tugu Hotel. Beautiful bamboo structure and interesting menu. Good food – went there twice.

Osteria Telese – always good and dependable for Italian food cooked as in an Italian home – very reasonable prices and our favourite Italian restaurant by far in Bali. The pasta is delicious, the veal and seafood dishes are great too.

Sarong – yumm – I can taste those wonderful spices and mixture of flavours as I write! The décor is to die for and the food is amazing – the crispy pork hock is one of my favourites here. Another of my favourites in Bali.

Sate Bali: this visit we only went to the Sate Bali at Echo Beach (twice) not the one in Smeinyak. It is a great location, just down from The Beach House and the cuisine is good, basic Balinese food and reliable.

Sip – very good French food – the lunchtime menu is very good value and a great spot to stop for a break when shopping in Seminyak – or changing money next door. I always eat indoors though – away from the traffic noise.

Sushi Tei – a huge cavernous restaurant on Sunset Road is where we go if we need a quick lunch on the way to the airport or Carrefour. The food is just OK.

Tanjung Sari, Sanur – very pleasant lunch here – a mixture of Indonesian food and we all shared.

Warisan – the old Kafe Warisan has been very tastefully renovated and the food is very good – the chicken wrapped in prosciutto and stuffed with ricotta(I think!) is great – This restaurant is a bit cheaper now than when it was Kafe Warisan and it is good value. The bathrooms are lovely and there is now a huge carpark at the rear of the restaurant but out of sight – makes parking so much easier than it was before.

Warung Eropa – does it say something that when we walk in here the waiter says “2 paket 7 and 2 lemon juice’??? Yes, our favourite here – the chicken satays are very very good and served with urap and rice. – all for around 25,000 rupiah. This restaurant has recently been renovated and is very pleasant for lunch or dinner. I believe also that their crispy duck is amongst the best in Bali.

Warung Gossip – one of our favourite Nasi Campur restaurants out in Kerobokan – organic food in a delightful setting. You need to get here fairly early though as the choice of food gets smaller as the afternoon wears on!

Warung Rio – another reasonably priced Warung on Jl Batubelig – very fresh fish dishes and another restaurant where you can order lobster the day before.

Warung Sobat - our favourite ‘cheap and cheerful’ neighbourhood restaurant. A very tender sizzling steak here for AUD5 – with fries and a great salad – hard to beat. Also terrific baby lobsters, simply grilled – order 500g per person the day before you want to go here. Lovely grilled snapper too – all reasonably priced.

Level Contributor
1,684 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

stop it, your making me hungry

Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Thanks ilab, i have noted some down to definitely try.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Thanks ilab can you tell me where Warung Eropa is ? the crispy duck sounds yummy.

cheers harro

avalon beach nsw...
Level Contributor
609 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Thanks ilab for the update. I cant wait to get back there and try them all! I take it that all the Warungs you mentioned are on the road out from Seminyak towards where you are? Maybe you should do a "Cocktail crawl" next time ;)

Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,015 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Thanks Ilab for such an up to date list. If only we had more posts like this with personal experiences of favorite places in Bali. I have not tried many of these places as we tend to stay in other areas but have noted them for another time. I too would like to know where Warung Eropa is.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Thanks ilab for producing this fantastic restaurant crawl! It's now been copied, pasted, printed and tucked into my "Bali Bible"

Can you tell me where Warung Sobat is?

Level Contributor
406 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Fabulous work on your part but I have had to add another 6 places to my already extensive list of places for breaky, lunch, dinner, cocktails and coffee (and we are only there for 7 nights!!) Hope to return the favour when we get back at the end of the month.

Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

You're the best ilab! Thanks so much; quite a few that I didn't know and will definitely try next month :)

Level Contributor
95 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

My goodness!!! I want to know how much you weigh, and if you ever have time for anything else but eating in Bali!!!

Seriously tho, you are a wonder!!! I had compiled our list of restaurants for our trip next February, but now will re-adjust with some of your recommendations instead. Sounds like I should take off the Delicious Onion and add .......

there just aren't enough meals = sleeps.

Thanks so much!!!

Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Crawl - Sept/October

Hi Harro

Warung Eropa is in Petitenget on Jl Petitenget on the left hand side as you head north from Seminyak. It is past The Gourmet Cafe which is also on the left.

Hi alwayswanttotravel, yes, most of the restaurants are up my way, but not all. I usually do a cocktail crawl whilst doing a restaurant crawl and we compare Capiroskas everywhere - that is our bench mark.

Snooky, Maybe you'll have to come over to 'my side' for a meal one day???

Sorry OzgirlNsw - looks as though you may have to stay longer?

Gabbyo, There are actually 2 Warung Sobats and of course, I have been to both of them many times. The original one is on Jl Batubelig - not far from the new Naughty Nuri's but it is on the right hand side as you are leaving Kerobokan towards the beach. The other, newer one is on the same road as Warung Gossip - the road the is near the jail in Kerobokan - I can never remember the name! I think it is Jl. Pengubengan. If you want to go to Warung Sobat you must book a table as it is VERY popular. The one in Batubelig is closed on Saturdays but the other is open 7 days a week.