We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see and do in Ubud

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see and do in Ubud

Ok I have convinced Miss K to spend 2 nights in Ubud on our way up to Lovina. She has asked what there is to see and do. We have only ever stopped in at Ubud on our way through to Lovina and had lunch at Cafe Wayan. I have briefly been to Ubud markets and we took both daughters to the monkey forest on our first trip to Bali.

We are currently enquiring about staying at Tegal Sari.

We have previously done all the day trip type outings like www, cycling, buggies, elephant park etc so looking for something different.

Miss K will be almost 17.

Any info you can assist with would be greatly appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Just dug this out of my traveler articles, Jacqui, hope it helps.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294226-c123733/Ba…

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,945 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Hi Jacqui,

has your daughter tried white water rafting? My teenagers did that when we stayed in Ubud, they paid to get a DVD of their rafting and still talk about how much fun they had. We have a good laugh when we watch the DVD, lots of fun memories! We also did a walk past the threads of life shop at JL Kajeng through the rice paddies. On two nights we enjoyed dinner and balinese dancing at Lotus restaurant and also at Laka Leke which is the sister restaurant of Cafe Wayan, so if your daughter likes cafe wayan she will like here as well. They also do cooking classes. You can check Laka Leke's web site for a schedule of balinese dances they offer each night.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Jacqui, would she (and you) be interested in a batik class, or silver smithing, ceramics etc. there are a few in Ubud. :)

balispirit.com/arts/bali_courses_description…

Edited: 16 November 2010, 04:52
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

here are some ideas:

Things to do in ubud

ubud tourist information centre – to left of markets

ubud markets

youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRo4uvpPHA

ubud palace, puri saren agung

pura marajan agung – gate

pura desa ubud – for community

pura taman saraswati – left of market right side – via café lotus – pond – dance

agung rai museum of art – dance and gamelan practice

pasar ubud

Puppet shows

Dance show

Cooking class

175 000 adult 125 child

Spas

monkey forest sanctuary

youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m-SI2uplQs

Walks - see lonely Planet guide

Ricefield walk

Blog 2009

…blogspot.com/2009/07/bali-ubud-walk-from-ja…

youtube 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU9z4O0xEA4

Museum Puri Lukisan; Yayasan Ratna Wartha Ubud - 2009 prices

Open daily: 9am to 5pmPhone: 0361 975136/971159Email: museumpl@indo.net.id www.museumpurilukisan.com

Art and cultural work shops

Gamelan 1-1.5 hours Rp 125,000

Mask Painting 4 hours, Rp 250,000

Basketry 4 hours Rp 200,000

Flute Playing 1-1.5 hours Rp 125,000

Traditional Painting: natural style (this the bright coloured bird/flower style) Rp 325,000

Batik 1 -2 Days Rp 425,000

Balinese dance 1-1.5 hours Rp 125,000

Shadow puppet making 2 days Rp 7000,000

Wood carving 1 day Rp 375,000

Bead work 3hours or 4 hours Rp 200,000

Kite Making, Classical painting and Offering

20% discount small group

there's heaps more with an hours drive such as

volcano climb

rafting

ropes course

canoeing

trekking

bike ride

Gawler, Australia
Level Contributor
803 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Thanks for the info Whinnie, Snooky and Linda.

We have put Laka Leke on the to do list for dinner and watching the dancing once night. We will also go and have a walk around the Royal Palace gardens and visit the markets.

We are also considering one of the many art/craft classes on offer as well. Silver smithing or pottery sounds like fun.

With a massage or 2 thrown in amongst these things and some relaxation by the pool it looks like we now have Ubud covered.

The one thing that actually got Miss K excited was seeing that Ubud now has Starbucks LOL. I am not a coffee drinker and therefore don't visit places of this type but if that is what gets her excited to head to Ubud for a couple of days then so be it. Can't say I will be rushing to get there though.

Now just to wait and see if Tegal Sari are going to have a vacancy for the dates we want or I will have to start looking at option B.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Jacquie, if you can't get into the Tegal Sari, i actually preferred Greenfields which is next door, The rooms are massive and the marble floors are just lovely. It kind of feels more opulent than the T.S.

I do think though that daughter may like to be in the heart of the main street as she can pop out to shops, restaurants etc immediately, not have to walk the big hill each time :)

Also at night you are within minutes of your hotel if central, whereas the T.S and G.F are a good 10 -15 minute walk.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
665 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Hi Linda, Wonder if you can help me. I write to green fields and they have given me some hotel rates (difference types).

a) BALE BUNGA Rp. 250 000/night

b) BALE Sukat Bali

c) BALE SEMAMPAI

Among the three Bale Semampai is the expensive. We are travelling in budget for few days and some days we like to stay somewhere nice. Is Bale Bunga ok ?

As for Febri's hotel couldnt get them as they are full during August 2011. Do you have any alternative to suggest. I stayed n White Rose before and not sure where about to stay this time if we were to stay in Kuta for 2 nights, Appreciate any advice and comments. Thanks in advance Dina Ho

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Bale Bunga are still nice rooms, they just are not as large and impressive and do not have the rice field views that the other more expensive rooms have.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
665 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

Thanks Linda. Okay if is small. I assume overall the facilities are good. We are keen lovers of morning market. Is the place a walking distance away. The hotel is asking confirmation. Shall I pay them.. Thanks sorry for troublin you. Dina Ho

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to see and do in Ubud

and Tegal sari no longer include breakfast but I am sure greenfields does. That's important to us.

If you prefer to be in town as Linda suggested.....Honeymoon guesthouse is nice and my daughter and I did a cooking class there that included an early morning market tour.

I also have contact details for a batik making class (pillowslip size so you could turn into one with a bit of sewing) if you want.

Don't forget the palace in the town of an evening to watch the (free) dancing.