We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking knife back to Australia

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Taking knife back to Australia

My son bought one of those fancy knives in a leather case at Ubud markets....is there any issue with bringing them back into Australia (in checked in luggage)?

Perth, Westoz
Level Contributor
457 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

Hi

There is nothing specific onthe Customs website http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4443.asp other than he must declare it on arrival and Customs will decide if he can keep it once they have had a look:

Firearms, weapons and ammunition

You must declare all firearms, weapons and ammunition including real and replica firearms and BB air guns that discharge a pellet by means of compressed gas, commonly purchased as "toy" guns. Other weapons such as paintball markers, blowpipes, all knives, nunchukas, slingshots, crossbows, electric shock devices and knuckle dusters must also be declared. Some of these items may require a permit, police authorisation and safety testing before importation.

Cheers

PK

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

You have to declare the knife as a weapon on question 1 on his incoming passenger card. Customs will then determine if the knife is allowed into the country. Some knives for example that are not allowed are doubled bladed knives, push knives, star knives, knives under 400mm etc. As long as he declares the knife there will be no issues for him.

Kate

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,564 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

yep we declared and have bought back in checked luggage with no problems twice.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

Thanks for replies. Son will be pleased!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

And if anyone ever goes through Singapore without declaring a knife expect all sorts of dramas! My father bought a knife in Vietnam, not a point one but a round nosed one (for cutting tough grass). Bought it at the beginning of the holiday and placed it at the bottom of his suitcase and he forgot he had it. Get to Singapore, didnt declare it, got to the door near the xray machine and pulled up by customs...anything to declare sir, no...asked again, no Dad replied. Then they pulled out this knife. About 5hrs later he and mum were allowed to leave the airport! The fedral police (or whatever they are called in singapore) were involved.... Very scary I think for a few hours ... Now Dad is banned from buying anything when we go on holidays with them :) He was allowed to take it out with them to there hotel in singapore and had a letter that he had to show customs on his way back to Perth. We think Perth possibly knew about it as they were not at all concerned when he 'declared' it and never even looked at it or the letter.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

I have brought knives back but mostly the ceremonial Kris knives that did not have sharp blades.

I think the criteria is :- are they throwing knives or weapons?

It they are ordinary household style there should be no problem.

Always declare to save yourself any problems.

qld
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

Hi all

I have seen wonderful kitchen knives for sale at various times in Bali and have always not bought them thinking we would not get them through customs. I will definately buy some this time and of course, declare them but could you give me any idea of prices?

PS Love this forum and study it religiously Thanks everyone

Michelle

Plympton SA
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

I bought a knife in Bali: a pretty little thing with a jewelled handle, a wooden sheath, and a very sharp blade, which I declared.

The customs guy was quite happy with the knife since it only had one edge: he checked the sheath for woodworm and it was okay.

Friend bought a pair of knives, one bigger and one smaller, both were accepted.

qld
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

Thanks for your replies. Would I have to declare them as weapons? even though they are kitchen knives. Also would you mind telling me approx how much they were.

Plympton SA
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking knife back to Australia

I paid IR200,000 for my pretty knife.

I don't think I declared it as a weapon, but I can't honestly remember.