We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Jellyblush
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Hi there,

I've been very excited planning my first trip to Bali on 17 January for 3 weeks. After an awful 2010, the 3 days in Seminyak, 2 days in Ubud and then 2 weeks at an isolated yoga retreat in the north sound like a blissful way to start 2011.

However, when I went to check the travel warnings, I found the Aust. Gov't advises that plans to travel to Bali should be reconsidered due to likelihood of natural disasters and terrorist attacks. This coupled with the fact it will be very wet has dampened my enthusiasm...

What do you think - with that itinerary, am I as a woman alone at much risk?

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

im going to bali for the first time flying out tonight with my boyfriend however im the type of person to do things alone if need be as well, very independent and love to research my holidays well before I go - In regards to the government warning, I considered this too before my travel. This warning is not likely to change because of past events and while there is a chance of natural disasters occuring, you're safe for the most part. billions of travellers each year visit bali and more people are effected by traveller sickness like upset tummies or for example scooter traffic accidents as they do not know the roads and choose to drive in the chaos anyway.

In conclusion, I wouldnt worry too much about the warning which hasnt changed in years and I wouldnt be overly concerned about disasters, thats a little risk you take in many parts of the world. Go, explore, relax and enjoy your holiday, it sounds like you deserve it after 2010.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

You'll find that it's a fairly standard warning from the govt, Bali is a beautiful place although the risks certainly exsist I wouldn't miss going to Bali.

I think Bali has been on the same warning level since the 1st terrorist act, however I can't be sure of this as I feel safe in Bali and don't check it. I don't know this for a fact, but it does seem to be a common statement I've heard.

I'd go enjoy the holiday andmake it a great start to 2011!

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

The travel warnings for Bali have not changed since the first bombings, however they do revise these but they still do not change. I'm sure you will enjoy your holidays as will my family and I in April. I have a young family and I have been going to Bali since I was 17. I am now 43 and now take my children and we all love it., We also know the risks but you have more of a chance getting hit by a bus. Just go with an open mind and enjoy Bali for what it is and what it has to offer. But beware you will become a Bali addict.

Enjoy your holiday

Mandie_8

Jellyblush
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Thanks so much for your replies - just the reassurance I was hoping for :-)

NYC
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

I have been here since the 17th and the weather has been much better then my last trip 3 years ago at the same time of year. There have been a few gorgeous days, a few days where it rains for 2 hours then clear with just an occasional 5 minute sprinkle, and only a couple of total washouts.

Regarding the terrorism, it is a standard warning and you should feel secure because the most heavily trafficked indoor tourist sites have security checks and vehicle scans. I may be a bit biased because I am from NYC and there is always an outside possibility of terrorism there. A yoga retreat would be the furthest target, too. Don't let it ruin your holiday.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Hi,

Relax. Go to Bali and enjoy your holiday.

As people have said the warnings have been the same for ages.

Also there have been warnings for places all over the world. Recently riots in London and Paris.

As for natural disasters - eg earthquakes in Bali. Yes they do have tremors but I travel to San Francisco at least once a year and they have earth tremors almost everyday. - no problem - when I see the Golden Gate Bridge swinging I'll start to panic.

Probably the most dangerous thing you can do anywhere in the world is trying to cross the road. Statistically far more life threatening than anything else.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Hi,

Most people now know that govt warnings are there so that in the unlikely event that anything happens, the suits can say, "We told you so?"

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

The biggest danger about Bali is that once you get there...you dont feel like going back and once you get back home, you will start looking out for reasons and excuse to go back to Bali.

If you are not careful like many regulars here you end up checking out this forum daily and become a Bali addict. I'm one of them and need my Bali fix daily.

The Bali people is one of the most peace loving people i've seen, the whole place survive because of tourist, no one in the right state of mind would want to break their own "rice bowl".

Enjoy Bali....let the Bali spell gets you....join the addicts here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

Very true MK my next trip is always booked within a month of returning!!

Jellyblush
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting cold feet about going to Bali - what do you think?

I can't wait to get addicted :-) Thanks everyone for your replies.