We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say what a great site this is...

So, my wife and i are going to Bali late January 2011 for around 10 nights. It's our first time and we'd appreciate some suggestions.

Were really into snorkeling and also want to experience shopping, good food, and tourists attractions (elephants, monkeys) and temples.

I was thinking of staying at 3 different hotels and then doing day trips from them. We were thinking of staying at Amed but I've been reading that Menjangan island has the best snorkeling in Bali. Now were confused because Amed is so central for things to do but we really love our snorkeling.

Any advice?

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Hi,

Amed has a wealth of great snorkeling sites.

You wont be disappointed.

cocomoco
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

I agree, Menjangan island has a nicer snorkeling site then Amed. But if you want to combine snorkeling with sites in East Bali then Amed is of course the best option. An other option is staying in Candidasa where there are several snorkeling trips around the area, including Padangbai.

You can check out snorkeling sites plus pictures at bali-travel-life.com/bali-scuba-diving.html

If you want to do some shopping then there is not much choice in all the places in East Bali. But maybe you can stay in Sanur and go for a night to Nusa Lembongan island, where you can do amazing snorkeling as well for a very reasonable price.

I don't want to mess up your plans with adding Sanur and Nusa Lembongan as an option, but maybe you want to check it out.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

I was going to suggest Nusa Lembongan as well. You could just go for a day trip over there, getting in on the first Scoot Boat of the morning, organise a snorkeling trip, back to the island for lunch and a quick look around and get the scoot boat back.

I think Scoot Boat themselves organise snorkeling trips as well or I can put you in touch with one of the hotels that run their own. You would just have to organise your booking beforehand (they leave at about 10am from memory) and make sure you are there on time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Thanks everyone - this is exactly what we're after actually. As I've said we've never been and don't know anyone who has been. So if I understand correctly people are suggesting we go to Sanur, Candi Dasa, and Amed?

I'm thinking maybe we should goto Amed first, and then work back to Candi Dasa and then to Sanur? Because there is less shopping (read: less of the wifes stuff for me to carry and store) at Amed it may be easier to travel this way?

We want to go to Ubud too but figure we can day trip there from Sanur, along with going to Nusa Lembongan?

Does this sound like a good trip?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Sounds like a great trip!

In Ubud I'd recommend a bike tour so you can ride through the amazing scenery and a bit of a culutral tour through a family temple and village. You would need to negotiate for a driver to stay with you for the day so you can look around Ubud after the ride.

cocomoco
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

I think that's a good idea, start of fin Amed where you can relax and start snorkeling, then go to Candidasa where you can do daytrips to Tenganan, Tirta Gangga or drive around Rendang and Sideman (nice ricefields and mountain landscapes). End your holiday in Sanur with a visit to Nusa Lembongan and Ubud.

I have to warn you, you might end up doing alot of shopping in Ubud too so don't spend it all in Sanur! ;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

OR, if you don't want to move as much just Amed and Sanur, as Candi Dasa is only about a 3/4 hour drive from Amed, so you could base at one and travel to the other, if you wanted to :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Thanks everyone for your advice so far...

We're now thinking that by staying at Ubud, Amed and Sanur it will give us more flexibility to do things we want to, and should provide a good base to work out of. (thanks)

At a high level we are thinking of the following:

+ Depart Brisbane and arrive Denpasar (approx 3pm)

+ travel from airport straight to Ubud and stay for 2 nights

(this will break up the trip to Amed and allow us to spend a full day traveling from Ubud to Amed - is this a good idea?)

+ Amed (stay 6 nights)

- do 'alot' of snorkeling (still need to decide where/who with - suggestions?)

- visit Mt Agung (possibly go via Sideman/Rendang for scenic tour)

- day trip to Candi Dasa

- visit nearby temples, etc

+ Leave Amed and travel to Sanur taking a full day to get there

- stop at Pedang Bai, KlungKung, and Gianyar (- suggestions?)

+ Arive at Sanur (stay 6 nights)

- day trip to Lembongan Island for snorkeling

- day trip Kuta, Legian &/or Saminyak (- suggestions?)

- can we snorkeling straight off Sanur?

How far is the trip from Ubud to Amed if you go direct with no stops?

Any accomodation suggestions or travel advice on the above high level itinerary are appreciated :)

Do people usually just book direct with places listed on this website via email? I think I'll need to book my flights in the next day or two too. Thanks!

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Ubud, Amed & Sanur are a good choice I think & each will give you a different experience. Ubud to Amed will take you maybe 2 1/2hrs without stops but I often make a day trip of the journey. I usually book direct with hotels or use an online booking agent such as Bali Discovery after comparing prices. I've sent you a PM

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali first time travelers (snorkeling advice)

Thanks for the info on Lembongan including the scoot boats. Looks like a day trip we will plan to include when in Sanur.