We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Hi to all the Bali forumites

As some of you know,I was supposed to be in Paris for NYE and then today with my son there for his birthday but Garuda was responsible for my being in Bali instead! I swapped the Seine for Echo Beach! It's a long story and I won't go into it here but I have to say I prefer the weather in Bali! I did have a French family staying with me so did the 'Bonne Annee' and the much cheek kissing anyhow !

As my being here was a last minute thing it was hard to find any of my favourite restaurants that were not booked out so we ended up at The Beach House at Echo Beach which ended up being the perfect choice as we had 2 young boys with us. The atmosphere was fantastic, the food was good and very reasonably priced. The 5 of us ate and drank for just over 1 million rupiahs which was great value for NYE. Hats and 'trumpets' were provided and the staff were brilliant, efficient and as friendly as always. The place was packed.

The downside to NYE (and the week before) in Bali is the

unsupervised lighting of fireworks absolutely anywhere. A strong wind blew up last night and quite a few idiots were lighting rockets about 2 meters from some tables at the restaurant and sparks were flying back into the crowd. It was an accident waiting to happen,which it didn't, fortunately. Where does common sense go on nights like this?

The previous night we ate at Nirvana, where we always have good food, and some people sent lit rockets up in the middle of Jl Laksmana - 1 went wrong and very nearly started a fire. It rocketed horizontally down the jam- packed street! Idiots!

As I write this, at midday, there are still fireworks being lit in the rice paddies nearby!

Despite all this it was a great NYE and I wish all here 'Selamat Tahun Baru' from Bal!

Edited: 01 January 2011, 04:04
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

OMG Ilab,you poor thing.

Well the best thing is you ended up in Bali however i could only imagine how dissapointed you must feel not being able to catch up with your son for his birthday.

Glad you ended up having a great New Years Eve.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and may i ask are you doing Paris on the way home?.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,892 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

you must be disappointed about not getting to Paris, but being in Bali is a plus.

I hope you continue to enjoy your new year in Bali and find some new restaurants and shops to tell us about.

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Thanks TLM

Hey,I could be in a worse place, I have to say, even though there is no sun at all today and it's raining. Who cares? I'm in Bali, one of my favorite places in the world and I'm healthy and happy!

No, Paris is cancelled for this time. I will go when the weather is more to my liking too!

Anyone for drinks?

Cheers

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Hi Snooky

Happy New year to you and your family. I sincerely hope that 2011 is good to you and yours.

You would not believe the new shops and restaurants I have already spotted and it's only 2 months since I left! I have never known a place where things change as much and as quickly as they do here. I have lots of 'work' to do starting next week! :)

Cheers

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Hi Ilab,

Have a great week before you start "working" next week - obviously on a Villa or Restaurant crawl?????

X Sandy & Happy New Year

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Happy New Year Ilab!

Pity about not being able to get to Paris. Was your son okay about it?

I heard that the NYE celebrations with fireworks was over the top. The beaches were a huge mess this morning with rubbish (friend emailed me today).

Maisy x

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Happy New Year ilab, and so long as you're with a loved one, have your health, and have your own teeth, it doesn't matter where you spend it.

Give me Bali over Paris anyday though.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Selamat tahun baru Ilab, lovely to hear from you & that you're in beautiful Bali, much warmer than Paris I'm sure even if it is raining!

wollongong
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Nice to hear you are back in your tropical paradise.

and here I am stuck in the Gong til May.

Hope your hols are great, and report back, you know we look forward to your experience and colorful and inimitable style.

Noel ( & DI)

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yet another New Year greeting from Bali

Selamat Tahun baru to you too ilab.

I am with Noodles...gotta love that comment :)

The fireworks thing happens on the streets in Thailand too....crazy.