We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free dining

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gluten free dining

Hi everyone,

Leaving for seminyak in a few weeks, just have a couple of questions. I've had a good read over the past few weeks and have picked up some great tips from other coeliacs (Gf supermarket shopping, translation cards etc). I'm just wondering if anyone has had a good experience eating out in seminyak or surrounds where he staff have clearly understood what you're talking about, or even have Gf options on the menu?

Also, if there are any indonesian dishes which will generally be safe that you could tell me about (or anything to avoid other than the obvious)?

Alex

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free dining

As a fellow coeliac I'm interested in this too.

Alex - are you able to share the tips you've picked up?

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free dining

I'll have to do another search of the forums before I leave for details, but basically Gf foods (bread etc) are available at the supermarket, and maybe at a specialty deli from memory?

Also the coeliac society has translation cards you can purchase, however I'll probably do my own search online. The translation cards can still be a bit non-specific I've heard, so if anyone else could provide a good Indonesian translation that would be great!

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free dining

Just bumping this up!

Perth
Level Contributor
567 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free dining

I remember reading that Dynasty and Hard Rock have gf menus or can cater for gf.

I have a feeling it was Bali Deli who have the gf bread. I went while I was there last but couldn't seen any gf breads. To be safe, maybe take your own. If you're in a villa you'll have a toaster, if in a hotel - I'm sure you can toast your own (bearing in mind the risk of cross contamination).

I was thinking rice dishes would be ok, like nasi goreng but then realised that they would probably have soy or kecap manis in them.

I found gf potato chips in the Bintang Supermarket. From memory they were in a red packet, and the writing was in French (or another European language).

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free dining

Thats right bali deli is what I was thinking of. I might stock up on some of those toaster bags before leaving so I can whip it up myself at our villa.

I know what you mean with the nasi goreng etc., I'm getting a bit worried that in going to miss out on experiencing so much of the beautiful food.. I was hoping I could get some feedback from people who know of certain dishes that don't contain soy, wheat flour as thickener etc. Then at least I know I'm relatively safe with a certain dish despite language barriers and the like.

Perth
Level Contributor
567 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free dining

Satay chicken shouldn't have flour, I don't think.

There's a post somewhere on the forums with a translation.... oh found it!

tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free dining

Good point, satay chicken should be fairly safe, as should be most curries..

Thanks for the link to the translation, only prob is I don't know how specific it is. I found this online somewhere, I'll c&p-

Type this out and take with you:

Saya mempunyai alergi gawat dan saya akan menjadi sangat sakit jika saya makan makanan berisi tepung atau butir gandum, gandum hitam, barli dan gandum. Mohon jangan beri saya makanan yang dimasak dengan tepung terigu, adonan, remah roti atau saus.

Terima kasih

Which if my pidgeon indo is up to scratch means:

"I have a serious allergy and I will become very sick if I eat foods containing flours or grains of wheat, rye, barley and oats. Please do not give me food cooked with wheat flour, batter, breadcrumbs or sauce. Thank you"

Can anyone tell me if this is clear/makes sense?! Thanks

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gluten free dining

My fathers a Coeliac and the funniest thing that happened to him was when he and my mum were on the way round the world and they got called to one side by customs (departure from Uk) about the contents of their cases. Parents had no idea what the guys were on about (did you pack this yourself etc). Asked my parents to open their suitcases and the customs guy promptly pulled a bag of "white powder".

"Would you like to explain this Madam"

"Yes - it's buckwheat flour - my husband's a Coeliac"

As my dad says it is not necessarily what the food is but where and how it is prepared. Never know what type of cross-contamination you might get.

Though not seen in Bali a friend of mine with a Wheat-Allergy said there is an old trick used in some self-service restaurant where pre-packed salads are sprinkled with a fine amount of flour- makes them appear fresh and crisp longer

I remember him saying how easy it was for him to get stuff in Oz

Edited: 19 January 2011, 11:48
the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Gluten free dining

Most satay will contain soy sauce of some sort so not suitable for coeliacs.

Victoria
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gluten free dining

Haha well I won't be packing any white powder, but I'm considering bringing some snack bars and that kind of thing in case I get really stuck!

Soy in satay hey? I never would have thought that, bummer.