We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Departure Tax

Hi

Do we have to pay a departure tax leaving Bali or is it included already in our airfares??

Thanks x

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax

You pay at denpasar airport just before going through immigration. It costs 150,000rp per person including children. We always put the money in our passports at the beginning of our holiday so we know its there for when we go home.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax

The departure tax is not included in your airfares in Indonesia, therefore you need to pay 150,000rp per person in rupiah only. You pay this after you check in and before you go through immigration.

Children under 2 don't have to pay the departure tax.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax

Thanks guys xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax

A related question- is there an ATM in the departures side of the airport where you can get the rupian required for the departure tax?

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax

Beware of another departure "tax" -- make sure you take out your departure cards and hand them to the official separately when you go through passport control. I had my wife's and mine folded into my passport and when I handed our passports over he pulled a sleight-of-hand similar to what the moneychangers do: the cards mysteriously disappeared and he told us we couldn't leave the country. After a minute of customary theater ("please sir, what can we do?") he told us he would do us a favor if we did him a favor, went and got us new departure cards, and accepted a bribe (albeit of only 50,000 rupiah, i.e. $5).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax

ctrunfree, I haven't ever noticed an ATM on the departure side but there is a money changer.

It's much easier to just put your 150,000rp in each of your passports when you first get there. That way you don' t have to worry at the end of the trip, it's already there.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax

I have just been told that the departure tax has now gone up to 200 000rp.

I certainly hope not.

Anyone back this last week that can verify?

Yes we also put the money away the first few times we change money and last trip I didn't pop into passport, i put in money folder (derr). One day I said to my husband "Ooh bonus we have more money than I thought" ...and of course we spent it LOL.

Discovered later it was our departure tax ggrrrrr.

So put in your passports :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax

last year before the increase I was told by a driver that it had gone up to 150,000rp. When going through the airport I handed over that amount so did one of my friends. My younger (and maybe wiser) sister only handed the 100,000rp over and the customs guy got caught out trying to take our extra rupiah.

I'll be handing over 150,000 this year with an extra 50,000 in my bag ready just incase, no more ripping me off that little bit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax

The departure tax has been 150,000rp for years.

Son and DIL came through last Sunday, they didn't say it had increased but I'll ask them to be sure, when I see them tomorrow.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax

maybe I was told it was 200,000 then! Can't remember I know that he tried taking an extra 50,000...