We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

We are traveling to Ubud and Kuta and would like to purchase sim cards for our mobiles to use while we are there for telephone and internet.

Which company does both Ubud and Kuta?

Where can we purchase in Ubud?

How much is the sim likely to be and how much credit should we purchase?

Can you use the Bali sim card for internet on an iPhone?

If data credit can be purchased, how much should we get?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

Hi I bought a sim card for 150 000 from the Kiosk outside Bintang Supermarket in Seminyak. It worked everywere I went in Bali - though sometimes messages to Australian phones seemed to take a while to be received. for the 150 000 the set the sim card up in my phone, activated it, wrote down area codes (cheaper one and more expensive one for calling home) and gave me the number to check credit balance.

I think it had 50 000 included credit which they said was 20 minutes of call to Australia and something like 100 sms. They could not help with internet for phone - said it was too hard and too expensive... But we found nearly every restaurant / cafe / bar advertises FREE WIFI and they just bring you over the code - put it in your phone and away you go.

With the iphone - make sure it is unlocked. Friends travelling with us, went to same place, but the ladies wouldn't sell them the card, when they found out phone was locked and wouldn't work with Bali sim...

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

I have never paid 150,000rp. The most I pay is 75,000 and this also gives credit. It usually lasts me 2 weeks before i need a top up .I like to use Mentari.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

GOod to know for next time _ I was really happy paying 150000 but will be even happier to pay 75 000 next time. Dont know what brand mine was - has a little sun on it?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

I used mentari too and got a card for Rp50,000, it cost Rp50,000 for 55 min of credit. I bought it from a little shop on Jalan Raya Ubud opposite the market, it was next store to a money exchange. It worked all over bali, there are directions on the card the sim comes in on how to dial and how to check your credit. You can recharge the sim at any phone outlet that stocks mentari (i recharged outside the matahari in Kuta). I always got them to show me that the credit they charged me for was the amt showing on the phone. I didn't use internet on my phone whilst there so maybe ask if mentari offer this. Simpati are also supposed to be good.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

The little sun is Mentari

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

Thanks so much for your advice, much appreciated :)

The sim sounds like it should be easy enough (I will take a print out of this conversation just in case :) My iPhone is unlocked and my husband is going to take a spare phone so we should be good.

I like the idea of looking for free wifi, sounds like a great plan. I don't think I will need the internet much but it is always good to have it as back up for looking up things. I assume there are internet cafe's over there also?

All advice is very much appreciated. Can't wait to get over there now :)

7. Re: Help Needed: Phone & Internet sim card for Ubud & Kuta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 08:22