We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The excitement has gone .. :(

Perth
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The excitement has gone .. :(

...help me restore it !!

The run down - my husband and I and our 4 year old are off to Bali ( Harris Resort Kuta ) for 15days in March.

We went exactly this time last year, still stayed in Kuta but at different hotel. It was amazing last time... I could wait to go...we loved it and didnt want to come back.

This time around.. the excitement is zero. I stress a lot , and all this talk of legionaires , volacnoes , tsunamis and terrorist attacks has sort of taken the shine away from the holiday.

My husband thinks I should give it a rest, we could very well end up with all of the above here in Oz, but for the life of me i just cannot look forward to this trip - the other day I found myself thinking its only 15days.. it will be over quickly.. grrr

restore my faith .. please :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Perhaps its because you are staying in Kuta again which you have been before. If you go to Ubud, lovina, etc, the excitement may come back.

Was there something you miss in your last trip? Somewhere you wish you spend a longer time? somewhere you wish to see again? Is the itenary any different from last time?

Like Peter Pan....think of a happy thought!!

Hope you have a nice holiday.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Hi,

I think I will side with your husband here, all these could happen anywhere..

And maybe it's because you've passed that first time excitement and maybe need to realize it's coming soon.

Look at day activities, things you have not seen before, places you loved and can't wait to see again...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Enigma, all of those things were a threat last time and you still went, so what is different this time. Are you worried about something else maybe. All I can say is come on here when you have some doubts, as there are many sensible people on here who travel to Bali regularly and still have that buzz. We all have a slight worry about all of your concerns, but the reality is we could get washed away in a flood here, or caught up in a political war, like in Eqypt. There is something to be fearful of everywhere we go or live, but the odds are almost negligible of those things actually affecting us.

We too worried about tsunamis and terrorist attacts, and then there was an earthquake whilst we were there. That has now become a fabulous story to tell our friends and the reality was not very terrifying even though it was a large one.

As MK said, try somewhere different this time, so it is fresh and new. I am sure once you get there you will get the buzz back.

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Enigma, We are booked to go in March, its my first time and hubbys second. I too worry a little like you and have felt a little apprehensive. I like to look up everything I want to do and the places I want to visit like Ubud, watch some videos etc and that helps me forget the negative and get excited about the positives. My family has lost recently and it wasnt Bali where the tradgedy occurred. I only mention this to show as you already know things can go wrong anywhere. I quite often worry about meningcoccal when the kids get ill but the likelihood of it happening is very remote. I wish you safe & exciting travels. Kellie

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Oh and if you going in March we may bump into each other. You wont be able to miss me, I will be the one trying to control a 3 yr old & 1 yr old in Bali.....

Port Hedland...
Level Contributor
316 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Maybe staying at diff hotel and second time around you may think the next experience wont be as good as the first. Once you get off that plane and "feel " bali you'll be ok.

I am leaving in 5 hours - 14 days of no cooking, no cleaning, no washing, no worries - that is exciting enough for me:)

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
329 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

I'm with the others, try a different place to stay if you can. My last trip was some 5 or so months in the planning. In all that time hubby had no input (his choice and it certainly wasn't for the lack of trying) and steadfastly remained 'uninterested' until those wheels literally left the tarmac.

I do hope that the excitement comes back for you, perhaps during the mad dash for you VOA and be selective of what you read, try not to let others concerns and worries get you down. A holiday is always what you make it :o)

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Don't worry once you get there your fears will go and all those happy feelings will come back. I feel so safe when I'm in Bali and its only when I come home I hear all the gloom and doom about all the negatives.

Go and have a good time, as others have said stay out of Kuta if that would make you feel better. I'm sure you could still get alternative accomodation in March if you wanted to.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,502 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Hi Enigma

Your post has made me quite sad for you - I try to imagine dreading to go on a holiday to Bali and can't quite imagine it. i have long lost count of the number of times I have come to Bali and I still get excited after all thee years.

I really think that maybe the fact that you are run down is one of the contributing factors to you feeling this way - maybe it all just feels like too much effort? Packing, etc etc.

I would strongly suggest you keep you booking at the Harris Hotel but maybe only stay there for a week and then go to somewhere like Ubud or Sanur where it is quieter and you have far more chance to relax?

You loved Bali last time and I'm confident you will love it again this time - just don't worry so much.

Cheers

Edited: 30 January 2011, 00:27
Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The excitement has gone .. :(

Hi there Enigma, I'm sorry that you are feeling this way unfortunately these things are a concern any where in the world. I read the forum everyday and read about legionaires, terrorist threats, dengue fever etc. etc. However the risks are very low, the terrorist threats have been there for a long time now and are only ever upgraded. Legionaires is currently being monitored. Dengue fever, well it can happen in Queensland at the moment too. It is all just precautionary chatter on TA by other concerned TA members. My family and I are off to Bali in 62 sleeps and I am so excited. I check Ta all the time, I watch live flight radars, my suitcases are already out with bits and pieces in. (I'm like and excited child at Christmas)(Bali is my Christmas) Try not to let all these concerns worry you to the point where you will not enjoy your holiday. Anyway I hope you can get past these troubles you have.

Mandie_8