We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

Hi all

I'm a little overwhemled with so much info, so wondered if someone could help point me in the right direction :)

My family and I (which consists of a 55, 48, and 28 year old) are planning to head to Bali for a week long trip at the end of Aug/beginning of September.

We enjoy sightseeing and also experiencing some culture, as well as lounging about on nice white sandy beaches. Somewhere where there's plenty to do and a pleasant relaxed atmosphere without any rowdiness of discos etc.

Initially I was thinking of Nusa Dua, but having done a little research it sounds a little too "manicured" for us. Can anyone recommend any other suitable resorts that we could stay at?

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

It sounds to me like Sanur would be more your cup of tea. Have a look at this area.

Resorts to consider would be the Bali Hyatt, Puri Santrian or Griya Santrian to start with.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,838 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

I agree with Whinnie.

Sanur is easy to get in and out of.

Only 20 minutes to Kuta for more shopping etc.

Plenty to do but relaxed atmosphere. Beach cafes and the odd bar.

Loads of hotels along the beach. I have not looked at the bigger resorts mentioned, only Villa Shanti, which is smaller but smaller being more my cup of tea.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
802 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

My hand is up for Sanur as well.

You can easily find yourself a driver off the street who is willing to take you anywhere you want to go.

We have a local Sanur driver that we have known for 6 years now... he has taken us everywhere and speaks good english.

He is 36 years old and has a wife and three children, lovely and very funny man.

If you are interested I can send you his contact details or you can find your own man easily enough on the street... they are all so eager for the work.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Donna.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

Also recommend Sanur,very popular for first timers,little less intimidating and there is so much at your door step.

Enjoy your holiday.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

It doesn't have a beach but Ubud is beautiful. It has a village feel, great restaurants, great shopping, tons of art and culture, the monkey forest and rice terraces.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

Hi!

Plenty of beautiful places to enjoy in Bali. If you are more into beautiful sceneries and cultures, I may suggest you to visit :

1. Sanur: as others say, Sanur is the closest place from the airport, and it's the perfect appetizer for the next trip. Along the Danau Tamblingan Rd and Bypass Rd, there are many international as well as local boutique restaurants & souvenir shops.

2. Ubud: more cultural, quiet and contemplating. If you are really into art & culture, Ubud is like heaven. A lot of museum (you name it: Neka, Blanco, ARMA etc) and parks (Bali Cultural Center, Bali Bird Park) are within your reach. Bicycle tours and village tour to watch local daily life, art making, beautiful rice terraces and bird watching are also available. Not to mention Ubud is also the heart of Balinese food (if you opt to take a cooking class). The famous suckling pig of Ibu Oka, Kadewatan chicken rice, naughty nuri's etc.

3. Eastern part of Bali: you can take a day trip from Ubud to the east: Gianyar, Karangasem, Tirtha Empul & Taman Oedjoeng. Those places are amazingly beautiful. Particularly Taman Oedjoeng, it's like Bali's Versailles

4. If you still want to enjoy beaches, then take Nusa Dua (more private & expensive), Kuta (for beach hoppers), Uluwatu & Jimbaran

5. Other cultural spots not-to-be-missed: Besakih Temple, Tanah Lot

6. If you are rice-terrace fans, go to Jatiluwih.....that's the best spot. Ubud has also nice rice-terrace in Tegalalang area.

Hope those options sound good to you.

Best Regards,

Christina

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

That was really helpful, thanks everyone! :)

We've decided to book our week long trip to Sanur at the Pondok Ayu.

Ubud seems great - I wondered if it would be worthwhile maybe cutting our trip short in Sanur by spending 2 days in a hotel in Ubud? Or would it be sufficient to visit Ubud on a day trip from Sanur?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

You would get a better impression of Ubud if you cut the Sanur part by 2 days. There is really too much to see in Ubud to do in just a day trip.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

Maybe take a look at what Ubud has to offer & then decide

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294226-c123733/Bal…

10. Re: Where to start? 1 Week in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 10:42