We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 year old girl travelling alone

milton keynes
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
20 year old girl travelling alone

Hello I'm wanting some advice really.

I'm hoping to travel to bali for a month in june then onto thailand for a further month, then hopfully if i can try get some south america in my trip... so 3 months in total.

I will be travelling alone and just wondering is it really unsafe for me to do this? I realise that nowhere in this world is safe but these destinations i have picked are where i really want to see on my travels!

How cheap is bali and south america.. i know thailand is ridiculously cheap!

any advice anyone has for me will be much appreciated!

charlotte :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

Hi Charlotte, lucky you to be travelling so extensively at your age. My 19 year old daughter is in Columbia at the moment and having a ball after having received a scholarship for a month. South America is cheap, exactly how cheap I'll be able to tell you next Thursday when she returns.

We have been to Bali a few times and it is as cheap as Thailand, which is cheap, but getting a little dearer for accommodation, as is Bali. South Americal is not as safe as Thailand and Bali for travel, as they have different expectations where women are concerned, but with the same precautions as home you should be okay. Do some research as some areas are definately not safe for westeners to travel, which my daughter found out the hard way.

Bali and Thailand are at least as safe as home, and as there are a lot of people around at night even walking around quite late is fairly safe. Do be aware of your personal safety though and try not to overindulge in alcohol.

Keep your famiy or friends informed of where you are traveling to and staying at, and when you intend to move on, so they don't worry unnessarily.

But most of all have fun.

Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

Hi Charlotte

You are right, no place is 100% safe. I have been to Bali a few times and I would say that it is quite safe. Of course you need to take the usual precaution.... the same you would do at home. I would not walk alone in the middle of the night in areas I am not familiar with, I would not hitch hike and so on. But I would not do this at home either.

I would consider Bali safer than South America.

Have fun!

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

My daughter came here first at the age of 19, travelled from Bali to Flores on her own (met some French guys to share some of the transport and accommodations with in Sumbawa, which saved money and was safer of course, as she did a lot of time on public transport in out of the way places.) Had a total ball. She met lots of local chaps, spent time with their families etc, and has been back twice since.

The only place I've ever felt a bit unsafe or had anyone touch me uninvited was Kuta at night. In those kinds of tourist 'party' areas you do need to be aware of drink spiking, but in the rest of Bali the only real concern is the occasional crappy dog..

Edited: 17 February 2011, 15:20
san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

Charlotte-

Really, the biggest risk you face in Bali is from other tourists. Especially in Kuta at night , there can be hordes of young, drunken, testosterone-filled men. If you know how to take proper precautions amongst that lot, e.g. don't let your drink out of sight and don't wander off with strangers, you will be fine.

Good for you and your adventures -- you'll have stories to tell for a lifetime!

Ellington...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

let me come with you llol im looking to travel to pretty much same areas and im the same age and not sure how i wanna go about yet and if i wanna alone

Ellington...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

let me come with you llol im looking to travel to pretty much same areas and im the same age and not sure how i wanna go about yet and if i wanna alone

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

I would agree with the other posts, Bali and Thailand are quite safe. The real dangers , as mentioned, are the clubs. I'm sure you'll meet people (you always do when you travel) so implement the "buddie system" whenever you can. There is much to see and do in Bali and Thailand and could keep you busy for a long,long time. Just use common sense and always err on the side of caution and you'll have a great time.

South America (where ever you decide to go) is a much different place and culture than SE Asia. I don't want to turn you off going there but it is and can be a bit more difficult in some respects and not as comfortable (or safe) as SE Asia. But all in all, there are good people and bad people anywhere in the world, just choose the ones you want to be around wisely.

8. Re: 20 year old girl travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:16