We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart Traveller alert

port lincoln
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Smart Traveller alert

Holiday to Bali all booked for Septemeber!! Yay! I see the alert on the smart traveller website has been marked" as reconsider your need to travel to Bali" which is a very high risk. Has it been at this level since the bombings in 2001?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,963 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smart Traveller alert

This is a regular topic on the forum. The travel warnings have been in place for a number of years as you mention and are not likely to change any time soon. I always feel safe traveling to Bali and will continue to travel there. You have more chance of being run over in your home town compared to being bombed in Bali. IF you took the time to check travel warnings for other destinations you would read similar warnings. Where is safe?? anything could happen at anytime anywhere. The warnings were put in place after the bombings. I have traveled to bali a lot since then and would return any day. Bali is a beautiful holiday destination and you will enjoy it. Security has been stepped up at airports, hotels, restaurants etc. The Balinese are lovely people and need our support. enjoy your trip.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smart Traveller alert

yes it has been there since 2002 :(

port lincoln
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smart Traveller alert

Yes I thought as much and it certainly wont change our mind about travelling there...guess i was looking for other peoples thoughts and yes you are right more chance of being hit by a car or run over by a bus here at home! Cheers and thanks heaps

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smart Traveller alert

Not so sure we should be so complacent. The warning (second highest - reconsider need to travel) is due to information received in March 2011 that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, including Bali.

They also say that particular care needs to be taken during holiday periods. With my trip (including three children, non refundable accommodation and airfares) planned for Easter, I am wondering what to do.

Victoria
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smart Traveller alert

"You have more chance of being run over in your home town compared to being bombed in Bali

Exactly what we though however we dodged being blown up on Jimbaran Beach by about 2 minutes... Anyway I have returned to Bali since then and love it, it has given me a much stronger connection to the island. However it has made me more weary not to venture into easy targets such as Matahari and the like..

Perth
Level Contributor
339 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smart Traveller alert

TMPAFT, as PLT states, the travel warning has been at the same level since 2002. So nothing has changed since you booked your holiday.

I am also travelling to Bali at Easter with my family, including 2 children. I will keep my eyes and ears open and use my usual degree of caution but most of all, I will have a wonderful holiday with my family.

I hope you can do the same.

Mudgee NSW Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Smart Traveller alert

My main concern is in the health area - wit so many dire warnings of assorted nasties we're exposed to, I'm amazed that there are not reports of multiple illnesses hitting every Bali visitor!! I guess the warnings are over emphasised to make travellers more careful in what they do, eat and rink??

nsw
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Smart Traveller alert

i too have been worried about booking for bali in OCT. but i now see that nowhere is safe and why put life on hold for something that may or may not happen. its so good to hear positive feedback. can anyone recommend good accommodation? i have been looking at Adi Dharma.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smart Traveller alert

In Dec 2008 there were fears of reprisal after the executions of the bombers, security was stepped up at the airport, hotels and shopping centres. However that didn't affect my holiday, I just took the precautions that i would normally take & also avoided any nightclubs. I was wary when visiting shopping centres/department stores but did go for Xmas presents. It has never stopped me from visiting Bali & it won't in future.

10. Re: Smart Traveller alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:19