We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadians what are you using?

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Canadians what are you using?

I am concerned about the money changers and am thinking perhap[s we should use the ATM with a Canadian bank convenience card or a Visa debit card that the banks issue in Canada. I would really appreciate everyone's opinion cash, debit cards. We have to make up our mind asap as we leave on Sunday. We have decided to take some us dollars and mostly canadian dollars.

HELP

melbourne
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadians what are you using?

Take cash, but use those money changers suggested in this forum. Reason; no bank charges, better rate of exchange and more flexability.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadians what are you using?

Thanks percyveered for answering my thread. I am anxious to know what to do and if cash what denominations. I do not know what I would do if you Austrailians did not answer my thread. Hopefully Canadians do visit Bali.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadians what are you using?

Yes, Canadians do visit Bali, I even know some very nice ones who live here! The money changer problems are not universal- as suggested, use the recommended ones, or any in Ubud (as I've never heard yet of problems there) or just change at a bank if you're really concerned. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadians what are you using?

Thank you Newgabe for the encouragement.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
588 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadians what are you using?

hazzle-free

let me know how you make out, we are leaving at the end of the monthy.

Thanks

Terri

melbourne
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadians what are you using?

I'm not sure what denomination notes you have in Canada, hazzle, but I always take $100 notes. You get a better rate of exchange, plus it is very easy to calculate what you are entitled. Unless you have a large bill to pay, do not change too much at a time, . It's very easy to change money on a day by day basis and changing a large number of dollars will result in you having to carry it all in a wheelbarrow. CAN dollar is worth 8950 today. Just arrive and enjoy and like anywhere else in the world, just be careful.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadians what are you using?

I thought I posted something a few hours ago, but it is not there! Hey, I don't know if u got the private message I sent u when we returned, but we stuck to using ATMs only!! For us it is the best and only way! Plus, with the Canadian dollar worth more than the US $$ , every rate I saw gave less for the CAD $ than the US $! Anyways have a great trip!! :)

sask.canada
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadians what are you using?

thanks Tracy, and no I did not get the pm. I am afraid of the charges from the bank and charges for using the atm. But if you say minimal you must be banking at a great bank. Someone said to try the Visa Debit Card and the convenience card. Which card did you use.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadians what are you using?

That is strange I sent u a detailed message when we got home a few weeks ago!! Darn!! I am at RBC VIP Acct, it includes all debit transactions free of charge anywhere!! We travel alot and only use ATMs now!! We took abit of cash but never used it in Bali or Goa!! I guess whatever suits u best, but check with some banks in Canada and see what is available, I have had that account for years!! Tomorrow I will check my sent folder again, as I am on iPhone at the moment! Last time I checked it showed the message was sent!!! Hmmmm

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadians what are you using?

I think it is a personal thing. Seems the huge majority of Ozzies go with the cash. Me personally I always go with ATM but always have a few hundred € with me (wife as well). Can't be bothered working out if I really could have saved a bit here or a bit there. Given how cheap Bali is and the fact that Hotel is already paid for then we are only talking about spends.