We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

proper tipping

hawaii
Level Contributor
571 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
proper tipping

hello

what is the proper tip for a private driver for a day and also what is the tipping procedure for a massage at a regular spa such as in ubud?

thank you

australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: proper tipping

Hi

depends how good your driver is, if he is charging 450 000rp for a day, that is a good price for him already - so a tip is unnecessary. if he is a cheap driver maybe give him an extra 50 000rp.

as a former massage therapist I say tip a lot!!!! lol, about 10 000rp is plenty and only if they are super good. if an average treatment dont tip they dont really expect it, and give it to them - not front desk.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: proper tipping

yes tipping is not their custom or expected in Bali.

They are poor, but no where tips like America do, they make it very difficult and the Balinese could never tip like them should they have the opportunity to travel.

People tend to round off when dining and in taxis.

Taxi is 8000rp, give 10 000.

Meal is 89 000, give 95 000...

Massage, we don't tend to tip but we go every single day. If you are just going once then feel free to tip say 10 000 as suggested.

As also suggested, standard drivers fee is a good price....but we usually buy them lunch.

If anyone gives exceptional service (driver, shop assistant, masseur etc) then it's always nice to give more...but not expected.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: proper tipping

hi there i only tip if i have been given really good service usually at restaurants, i did tip the driver that i had arranged to pick us up from the airportt,via email before the trip we agreed on 100,000rp for 6 people to be collected, he was there when we arrived and had been waiting a while, also he had provided 2 6 seater vans instead of 1 as he didnt think he had enough room for our luggage,all would have been fine in just one 6 seater but i tipped him and extra .20,000 for his trouble, i did tip small amounts 10,000rp a few times for a really good massage,hotel porter

however this topic comes up quite often and is the subject of much debate mainly about tipping becoming expected in Bali, i experienced this first hand on my last trip, the day of our checkout a hotel cleaner came up and introduced himself,i though this was a little strange, in the first few days yeah sure, but the last day???, he then said he wanted to come to see me before we left, just to make sure we were happy with his service!!! i have no idea if this was the guy who had been cleaning our room as i haddent seen anyone, i had actually planned to give the cleaner a tip but i was quite put out that this guy was almost asking for it,anyway he didnt show up so im still not sure if he was our cleaner or not but he didnt get a tip.

cheers j

4. Re: proper tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 14:18