We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tegallalang Market In Ubud

Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tegallalang Market In Ubud

How is this market compared to the other markets & whereabout is this? Are there good eating places nearby? Many thanks for any contributions.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tegallalang Market In Ubud

I visited Tegallalang (about 10 min from Ubud on road to Kintamani) in February (and drove through yesterday!). Great for wholesale type shopping, which is why I went there. I didn't consider it a fun touristy spot though.

The area I went there weren't any "markets" as such, just lots of shops lining the road with bamboo chimes, mirror art, wood craft etc. Not many clothes shops.

Didn't come across any restaurants (and we walked quite a distance). And actually had trouble finding transport back into Ubud (so pay a driver a bit more to stay with you perhaps). We nearly got desperate enough to hitch a ride on the back of a truck!

Things definately cheaper than nearby Ubud, and worth a drive up even to just view the terraced rice paddies. My first visit I made the mistake of going on a Sunday and most shops were closed (so avoid Sunday).

On the corner of Monkey Forest Rd & Main St in Ubud are some really good interesting markets...like a rabbit warren...fun! Clothes, spices, fruit, jewellery etc.

Edited: 22 May 2011, 09:46
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tegallalang Market In Ubud

The shopping at Tegallalang isn't markets, they are actually wholesale shops who'd main business is selling for export. They do not haggle their price much at all, the best you will usually get is like 10% of their original asking price,as they are, as I said, wholesalers. They also do not keep great quanities of stock on hand so if you are after more than a few of any one item you usually have to order it in from them and pick it at a later date.

There are some great restaurants along the Tegallalang road but you really need to have a driver to get to them as they aren't exactly close to the shops and even with the shops you still need to have a driver and be in a car. The shopping strip runs for approx 5km and you can either ask your driver to stop when you see something of interest or get him to "shadow" you as you walk along.

My favourite restaurant at Tegallalang is Kampung Cafe and there are 3 or 4 others as well, but, as I said you need to have a driver and car.

There also isn't a great deal of english spoken in most of these shops so your driver will come in handy as a translator some of the time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,742 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tegallalang Market In Ubud

Organize a driver to take you to tegallalang as the shops extend along both sides of the road for many km's as mentioned. We get our driver to drop us at shops that interest us and then meet us further along the road. We have purchased many items from tegallalang. For lunch we go to kampung cafe, the view is excellent and the food and drink prices are reasonable. Some shops have a lot of sample stock which they will not sell, but there is still considerable choice and plenty of bargains for all. The prices here are much cheaper than the shops in the south. If you want a one stop market without doing a lot of walking get a driver to take you to pasar seni sukuwati. you could easily do both places in the one trip.

4. Re: Tegallalang Market In Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 05:19