We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick review of our 8 nights

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
A quick review of our 8 nights

The aim for our holiday was to relax....

4 Nights - Alam Shanti

We arrived at Alam Shanti at approx 7pm and were greeted by the delightful Wayan. We were promptly checked in and taken to our room "Indus". What can I say, it was lovely and spacious! It had our king 4 bed poster as well as a king single for our 11yr old with plenty of room to move around. Because of the heavy drapes we were able to sleep in, yeah! Breakfast was delivered to our room at 9am each morning, yes the banana pancakes are yummy!

After breakfast we'd either walk down the motorbike path (outskirt) of Monkey Forest into Ubud or use the free shuttle. The mornings were spent wandering in and out of shops, didn't buy much (which is very unusual for me!). The afternoons were spent swimming in the pool, having a treatment at the spa (very good prices) and having afternoon tea on our balcony. What more could you want for!!!!

We only managed lunch at Coffee & Silver, but it was pretty ordinary. We had dinner at Laka Leke, but it didn't quite hit the spot; Cafe Wayan (I did try sitting on the pillows, but this old body isn't up to crossing her legs!), so opted for chairs, ahh, that was better. The food was lovely and the service excellent. Dewar Warung was a great find - 2 noodle dishes, spring rolls, 1 sprite, 1 water & 1 lge bintang 60,000Rp and it was delicious. We also ate at Batan Waru and everything we had was tasty. Our son loved the mango sorbet!.

4 nights Adi Assri - Pemuteran

We arrived at the Adi Assri in the late afternoon after being driven through Singaraja and Lovina (not quite the route I'd asked for but part of the trip was through very heavy rain). We checked in, only to find that the toilet wouldn't flush, called reception and we were moved to another room, not a problem. In fact we had booked the super deluxe room with a king 4 poster bed (extra mattress on the floor for our son) outdoor bathroom, but the room we ended up in worked better for us, it had more room to move around in and we didn't care that it didn't have an outdoor bath. The room was lovely and clean and the a/c worked well.

Once again we swam in the pool (they have 2 great pools) and lounged around relaxing. Breakfast was included, however it was pretty dull and tasteless. I had organised through Sea Rovers(attached to the hotel) to go out snorkelling at Menjangen Island. This was great, we had a ball wandering around following the fish and we saw 3 nemo! That was the highlight of my trip. You stop for a break on the actual island for lunch, but next time I wouldn't bother, lunch was yuck and the island is very, very basic with too much rubbish strewn everywhere.

We did walk along the beach to Reef Seen to the turtle hatchery. For 100,000Rp you get to "release" a baby turtle back into the ocean, I do hope he manages to live a long life!!!

We also walked down to the front of Taman Sari (approx 10-15 min) to snorkel off the beach, it was also great, we saw some different fish to what we'd seen at Menjangan. The sand here is white compared to the volcanic black in front Adi Assri.

We ate dinner at the hotel twice purely for convenience and then at Warung Susu, (food was beautiful and fresh), just hard walking along the very busy roadside with a scared 11yr old in tow!) and also at Taman Sari. I'd asked Taman Sari to collect us for dinner which was a bonus. The menu was extensive, the service very attentive and the food was lovely.

We travelled thru Munduk to Denpasar. Our driver, albeit "Rally Driver", (organised through the supermarket on the main rd near Reef Seen - cheaper than through the hotel) will no doubt still have my teeth marks in the door handle. But apart from the very windy road, the countryside is just beautiful.

We came home very relaxed and missing Bali dreadfully.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

So pleased you enjoyed your holiday - doesn't matter how long or short it's never enough. We're thinking of heading over to Pemuteran so have taken on board your comments about Menjangan, which are disappointing, and will stick to the beach for our snorkelling. We thought we might stay at Amertha - is this alongside Taman Sari and still on the white sand?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Sounds as though you managed to have your lovely relaxing holiday Maisy. Driving on the roads is not for the faint hearted in some spots in Bali is it? If I ever see those teethmarks, I'll know who made them.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,480 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Hi Maisy

Thanks for the JBR - it sounds like a very relaxing time in Bali. the turtle hatchery at Reef Seen is fascinating, isn't it?

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Thanks for a great read Maisy,so glad you had a wonderful time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Tazmo

I'd definately snorkel at Menjangen again, just not stop for the lunchbreak..Swimming through the fish was amazing, so many of them and so many colours.

Taman Sari was quite sprawled out, but looked lovely and Amertha, I quickly ran thru, but many of the rooms were behind walls so couldn't see much. Both are on the white sand.

Ilab, Thought the turtle hatchery was a great concept, hopefully my turtle will survive and begin laying eggs in 15 years or so!!

Edited: 30 May 2011, 06:49
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

you packed it in for 8 days. excellent! menjagan is a pretty cool snorkel spot and going with sea rovers is very classy. i stayed at the same hotelpreviously and enjoyed my stay as well.

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Hi Maisy

Sorry to hear your sister was ill. Hope she is feeling 100% better now!!

Thanks for the review of Pemuteran. You may remember my post earlier this year questioning whether Pemuteran could live up to the high standards set by Amed. I've been waiting anxiously for your post before booking anything. Sounds like you had a great time - but which would you go back to .... Pemuteran or Amed :D

Also, i've heard the currents around Menjangan islands can be strong. We have a 8 yr old and a 10 yr old so interested to hear how your son coped.

Stay well Maisy (and your sister too!)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Sounds like you had a relaxing holiday! Thanks for the report.

South Coast
Level Contributor
255 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

Hi Maisy,

Thanks for the report, it sounds like you achieved the relaxing break you desired. I have added Reef Seen to my list of things to do in Pemuteran next trip.

Take care.

10. Re: A quick review of our 8 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2012, 05:42