We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where else to stay? for a month long trip

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
where else to stay? for a month long trip

we have booked one part of our indonesia trip for next year. one week at a surf camp in the mentawais, we lan on spending one week in ubud and one week on gilli T.

we have one more week avaliable we were thinking maybe kuta, bali (but maybe too crowded) or the mainland of lombok.

our main interests are surfing, and having activities avaliable to do (not really into laying around doing nothing on holidays, we can do that at home) not really into shopping either

we love anythin to do with wildlife, snorkling, watersports and nature. Im learning to dive at the mentawais surf camp so i may also be interested in doing some more diving.

If anyone can suggest a spot for the last leg of our trip that would be great :-) we are going im july (2012) if that makes any difference surf or weatherwise

cheers marley

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

Candidasa & Amed have nice snorkelling (and they are both lovely quiet locations). Tulamben is near Amed and also has a dive wreck. Mt Agung is also not too far way - and apparently there are hikes.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

Yes, I would look at a couple of days in Amed and then maybe just round off a fantastic trip with a few days in Serminyak / Batu Belig or Canggu for some surf, good food and some massages.

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

If you are into nature try Bali bird walk and nature walks in Ubud.

www.balibirdwalk.com

www.balinaturewalks.com

Perth , Australia
Destination Expert
for Denpasar
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

More thoughts.

If you are into surfing then maybe the Bukit ( the area near Dreamland Beach and Uluwatu.). Lots of surfing beaches.

At Tanjung Benoa lots of water sports, jet skis, banana boats, parasailing etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

Hi Marley,

It's been ages...!!??....If you're interested,I have pics of me and others surfing a reef break in Thailand.....I'll see if I still have your email and send them to you....

Otherwise,I have also been checking out places to stay in Bali.....So far,the best places I found are at $40-$60 per night respectively,are Villa Bunga in Seminyak and Legong Keraton in Caangu....VB is a fair way from the beach so a motorcycle is needed....LK is smack on the beach with about 3 reef breaks within a short walk....Both of these places have great reviews and are clean.....

Tho' you're right,Bali is very crowded....But there are surf spots not so crowded....Medewi for instance...!!....

Lombok can be less crowded but don't count on it if there are boats around...

The best wave on Lombok is Desert Point...Very diffcult access tho'...??...A long screaming left hander....

Easier access,tho' you'll need transport to take you to Grupuk fishing village,then ask a fisherman to take you to the break on the other side of the bay....It's set price..!!....The break is a right hand reef break and is a great wave packed with fun and could be quite empty until the boats arrive....The boatman might also take you to the rollercoaster break on the headland for some more right handers....

Otherwise,take transport to another closeby break called Mawi which is a reef break too....Beware of thieves at this place....Ask your taxi driver to look after your stuff....Talk soon...!!

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

wow thanks everyone for your replys.

rarefossil, we have looked at uluwatu and found hotels to be quite expensive there, but i will deffinatly look into it further as it sounds like what we are looking for. if you have any suggestgions for hotels that would be great we are thinking roughly $50 - $70 a night ea, there will be three of us at that stage of the trip and we dont mind sharing a room and splitting the cost if that helps. I will also check out the links you sent

Debbie and linda, i hadnt looked at amed but i will certinly do some research ;-) it sounds nice

cocotang, wow it has been ages would love to see your thailand pics! i loved it there will deffinatly return one day. havent looked into seminyak, but will do. think i might have to search youtube for some fottage off all the different waves that might help us decide lol, im not a good surfer the surfing is more for stuart lol (i do try though as i find it fun even though i sux lol)

thank for everyones help looks like i have alot more research to do lol, if any one has anymore suggestions im more than open to them :-)

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

you could also keep going west from the gilis. a short boat trip and a car drive and you are in kuta lombok - surf, snorkel (assume diving t- there is a diving outfit with the novotel hotel that is 3 km out of time). the coastline here is very pretty also

another option in lombok is heaven on the planet resort, which is on the far south east end of lombok - surf snorkel and diving. this is more isolated with only the one resort it is very pretty.

there is also waves surf snorkel in sengiggi.

all the places have brillant walks along the coastline and interior.

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

thanks rockterrigal i will go check out the places you have mentioned now

Kadina, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

wow heaven on the planet looks amazing just not sure if we can afford it or not, but will deffinatly be showing it to my fellow travellers see what they think

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where else to stay? for a month long trip

here is a few links on the place. i was there 2010. loved it! if you do it i would go for the accommodation only rather thn the whole package (i think it would be chaper) and get a quote in rupiah.

the resort area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3HdLRYJaA

one of the walks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBHcACPYok