We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa for indonesia from HK

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
635 reviews
Save Topic
visa for indonesia from HK

Hi - we are Australians living in HK and want to travel to Bali for 8 weeks. We called the consulate here and they told us we have no choice but to get a VOA but they are only 30 days. It appears from this forum that Australians often apply for a 60day visa before departure (a 211?). Should we be able to get this from HK? Do we need an Indonesian sponsor to get such a visa? Appreciate the help

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

Many Australians get a 60-day visa before they leave Australia if they want to stay in Bali for more than 30 days. I have no idea if you can get one in HK, but if there is an Indonesian consulate or embassy there, then you will be able to apply for a visa. As far as I know you don't need a sponsor.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

You don't need a sponsor. It is also possible to extend your 30 day visa when you are there. It's more expensive and a bit of a hassle but if you can't organize the 60 day visa before you go, this is another option.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

Hi teamflames,

If there is an Indonesian Embassy or Consulate in Hongkong you can apply for a 60 day tourist visa and you do NOT need a Sponsor.

It will numbered 211 which is the same no. as the Social Visa that requires an Inddonesian Sponsor with a current I.D.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Suggest you check out this link and scroll down to timdog's explanation - he writes so well.

Alternatively you can just get a Visa ON Arrival for 30 days and extend it at any immigration office in Bali for another 30 days with no sponsor needed.

However in Bali this may take a few days and mess you about for your holiday so maybe the 60 day visa is a better option.

If you did end up with the 30 day VOA and wanted to extend and were over in Mataram Lombok. It is done exceptionally quickly over there and hassle free from reports on LP Thorn Tree Indonesia forum.

Pamela

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
635 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

thanks all for the responses, makes a lot of sense (and yes thanks Pamela for that link is very useful). I guess I will go back to the embassy and push harder for the 60 day "tourist" visa.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
635 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

update for anyone trying to get Indonesian visa out of HK. They will not grant a 60 day visa. After numerous calls to the consulate and mixed messages they told us they will grant a 60 day tourist visa if you have a sponsor from a HK based company but when we went down there to apply they changed their mind. When I pressed that it is possible out of Aust, Singapore and Bangkok her excuse was they are embassies and HK is only a consulate. So for us back to the VOA and the extension once there - very frustrating but figure its worth knowing for anyone in a similar circumstance.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

KL Indonesian embassy are doing the same thing - refusing to grant 60 day visas which is just plain ridiculous.

They just make up their own rules as they go.

Anyway have a great holiday.

Pamela

Newcastle upon...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

please be aware that i have just cut and paste this from the london based indo embassy. so extending voa looks very unlikely these days..unless of disaster or the likes of illness..

Please be advised that Visa On Arrival may only be extended upon approval from the Director General of Immigration of the Republic of Indonesia in case of natural disaster, illnes or accident, but cannot be transferred to another type of visa. Overstay visitors incur to pay a penalty of US$20.- per day/person (for under 60 days stay) whilst over 60 days stay will be a 5 (five) year prison sentence or a fine of IDR25.000.000 (local currency).

Edited: 22 March 2012, 19:38
Newcastle upon...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

iam looking to stay for a long time after doing my dive instructors. the embassy advised a 60 day social visa.

the dive shop manager advised on 60 day tourist visa which could be extended.

and if i was to get instructor wrk then i could get a sponsor and i think a work permit.

9. Re: visa for indonesia from HK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:22