We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mosquito repellent

Melbourne
Level Contributor
383 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best Mosquito repellent

We will be in Bali for 3 weeks in August. What is the best repellent for mosquitos and can we get it there or should be stock up here. What about Mosquito repellent plugins and coils - are they widely available. We are staying in a villa in Ubud surrounded by ricefields and would like to be able to enjoy the outdoors without getting bitten alive.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

Anything with DEET is best; make sure there is a high percentage (80%). I bought a plug in repellent last time I was there, as well as a lot of the extra mats for it. You'll find that most hotels have some type of repellent available

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

I only ever use OFF as I cant use the strong stuff due to a skin condition... Never been bitten... My hubby uses the same and he has never been bitten... so I'm not so convinced about the tropical strength being 'it'...

I always take along a plug in for the room... Better to be safe than sorry

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

Their local products, Soffel and Autan are effective and it does pay to spray your room at night. Coils and plug ins are also good

High level deet is not necessary unless you are in very tropical places and in the open for hours at a time.

Dengue comes from daytime mosquitoes so keep protected day and night. :)

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

The Off in Bali has DEET so if you are allergic as I am then you need to take Off from Australia which is Picaridin based. Or Aeroguard sensitive. The Picaridin worked for me but does need to be reapplied more often. Plug ins and mozzie coils are cheap in Bali and when I asked all our accomdation supplied this.

Cairns, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

i used bushman while i was over there and i didnt get biten once and one of the other girls i went with used OFF and she got biten a fair bit. so i guess each person is differant

Adelaide
Level Contributor
97 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

I used the local Autan when I was over there, and didn't get bitten once. Hubby, who is a huge mossie magnet, used it and did get bitten, but never got bitten when he had bushman's on. So if anyone in your group gets bitten a lot, I would definitely be taking bushmans.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

Bushmans gel. It's waterproof and lasts a long time. You'll only need it in morning and at night. Kids didn't get bitten. I got it from local disposals store (camping shop). You can also get it in a spray but not waterproof.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

Hi,

Sorry to hijack your post, I didn't want to duplicate your topic.

I would like to ask the same question but from the perspective of a UK resident saying in Ubud, what brands are the best and should we get in the UK or in bali.

Is there any need to take any coils or can these be obtained within Bali?

Many thanks.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

We were in Egypt last month and the mozzies were absolutely ferocious. We used Incogito which is DEET free and we were impressed with it, it certainly worked. Hoping it works as well in Bali in September.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Mosquito repellent

I take AUTAN tropical strength with me and NOBITE. AUTAN is a popular spray in mainland Europe and UK although it appears from above posts also available in Bali.

-should be able to get it in Boots.

NOBITE is produced by a German Pharmaceutical company. I have found their DEET based spray to be less oily than a number of other companies.

They also produce a spray especially for clothes (Picaridin based).

Look for anything with 50% DEET as the active Ingredient.

Alternative as already mentioned something with Picaridin/Icaridin - 20% now widely available (AUTAN products). Picaridin based products a good alternative for people with sensitive skin and kids.

I know you can get the stuff in Bali but prefer to bring the basic sprays with me