We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Menjangan Island

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling Menjangan Island

We will be in Bali in late December and one of the things we are planning is to go to the west coast so we can snorkel off Menjangan Island. Many of the hotel reviews note that they overcharge for a snorkel trip to Menjangan and that you can do better "in town." We would like advice about what town (or lodging) would be good to stay in if that is our purpose. Not looking for 5 star hotel or backpacker hostel but something reasonably nice where it would be easy to do the Menjangan Island trip. We are avid snorkelers but not divers. We also want to avoid nightlife and tourist scene. Thanks in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

We did this a few weeks ago.We stayed at 1000 dream Bungalows,next door to the Puri bagus.They were about $40 a night and were right on the beach...8 villas only.They were FANTASTIC as was the outdoor beach restaurant.We were going to do snorkelling ourselves...but I added up the costs and it was cheaper to book a "tour".I booked online and paid $20 per person for transport,lunch,guide,boat,gear.I used Herman..he was great.We had a fantastic day with him and snorkelled as long as we wanted..we left at 7am!

Unless you stay in Kalibukbuk,everything is spread out and hard to get to.we hired a car which we picked up in Ubud and returned to Ubud 5 days later.$29 a day with GPS,a modern 7 seater and only $18 to fill the tank.Driving in this area is easy.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Lovina, where the last poster was staying, is almost 1 hours drive from Labuhan Lalang, from where the boats sail to Menjangan Island. Crossing time approx 40 mins.

You may prefer to stay in Pemuteran , which is closer.

There is a choice of decent places to stay. Taman Sari is mid range and very nice.

You may well find cheaper snorkling packages when you arrive.

You can shop around and perhaps bargain the price

There is also Novus Gawana resort. Isolated but lovely. Their snorkling package may be on the expensive side!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Brooklyn

We stayed in Pemuteran at Adi Assri Resort in May, however there are quite a few places to stay according to your budget.

We chose to snorkel with SeaRovers to Menjangan and it was great, our guide snorkelled along ahead of us and we followed (had a 10 yr old in tow) . We also snorkelled off the beach in front of Tamin Sari Resort, (10 min walk from our hotel) we saw different fish to what we saw at Menjangan, but still good.

It's the place to go if you want to dive, snorkel or just relax beside the pool or beach. If you want a relaxing holiday this is the place to do it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
654 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Hi. I will be staying in Seminyak. And would like to take my kids to Menjangan Island. Please can you advise how far is to travel fro Seminyak. What is the tour cost price per person if you have any contact. Thanks Dina

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Hi BrooklynTravel4 and DinaHo,

I just sent you both a PM with details of our guide in the harbour of Labuhan Lalang.

Regards,

Sylvia

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Hi DinaHo,

Are you planning on spending a few nights there or just going there for a day trip? Menjangan is very far from Seminyak. It can easily be the same amount of time from KL to JB, depending on traffic.

Plus snorkelling there is best in the morning, so a day trip is not feasible. Just my 2 cents' worth. ;-P

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

The snorkeling is the best early in the morning. The viewings are better and the sea is more stable. Besides it's best to snorkel or swim before your lunch. Seminyak is far by car, so better book a night before in the area.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Hi,

Not it's not doable in a day, best case you sleep half way around Lovina.

Hello Jade_du welcome back...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
654 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

thanks to all advice. Will reconsider. Is there any snokerlling activity around Seminyak that I can take my kids. Thanks Dina

lovina Bali
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling Menjangan Island

Thanks to Emuplains, glad you happy with my service.... greeting from Lovina.