We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

We are going to Bali from mid Sept to end of Sept. We would like to stay in luxury hotels or villas.

Would we get better price if we just show up and bargain or book through internet now?

If better price to book hotel when booking there, should we just go in to the hotel and negotiate or try book via tourist center?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

You will generally get better prices in Bali by pre booking. The tendency seems to be more expensive for walk ins.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

For the upmarket 4 and 5 star hotels you are better off booking online. They do not bargain much of you contact them direct.

Have a look at sites like expedia and agoda.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

There are no tourist offices as such in Bali; I know of a hotel booking service at the airport, but have never used it. I wouldn't recommend turning up without a reservation unless you are staying at a budget hotel or youth hostel. I would email your preferred accommodation directly as well as looking at travel websites and making a comparison; you can always ask your hotel if they will better their advertised price. There are websites such as Expedia, Zuji, AsiaWeb Direct, Hotels Combined, Booking.com, hotels.com , Agoda, just to name a few. Best of luck!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

please book before you go, the sooner the better as places book out. Keep in mind australian school holidays are in mid sep / oct so it can be harder to get into some places. The old days of walk in for a better price is pretty much a thing of the past and a lot of luxury places have set rack rates and are not about to negotiate like smaller, private, budget places. Do your research, there is nothing worse than not having a booking and spending hours driving around in bad traffic looking and hoping for something.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

It is very busy in Bali at the moment and you really need to book ahead. I for one would encourage you to book before you arrive ,especially at the moment.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
496 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

At the very least book the first couple of nights.You are coming a long way(I know because been there done that) and basically all I am good for is a shower,a nice dinner and bed.

Can't imagine trudging around trying to find a room

And if you book a driver you potentially are at his mercy as he "suggests" wonderful places

In my experience booking later usually results in missing out on the real gems that are great value for the money,at whatever price range you are looking at

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

thanks everyone for your input. we'll book our hotels.

8. Re: Should I make hotel reservation now or just show up?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 13:16