We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur to Pemuteran

Basel, Schweiz
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sanur to Pemuteran

Hi

We will make our way from Sanur to Pemuteran upon arrival in Bali (and the first night in Sanur). We understand that there are different routes (via Central Mountains or along the East or West Coast). Which route would you suggest? We will be traveling with my 11-year old daughter. We have already booked accommodation at the Bali Mountain Retreat and in Ubud after Pemuteran. We tend to prefer to route along the West Coast as we will get to see much of the mountains later during our stay (while in Ubud). What would you suggest to see on the West Coast? Sights, places to eat, etc. (we are not interested in tourist traps etc.)? How long is the ride by car?

Thank you for your suggestions and hints

Patrick

cocomoco
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

The west coast has some nice places to stop for lunch such as Padangbai and Candidasa. AMed has an magnificent coast line and the whole east side of Bali has great ricefield views. Another stop is probably tirtagangga, a water palace where you can go for a quick swim in one of the ryoal pools.

But to be honest, driving along the west coast all the way to Pemuturan is a very long way. And after Amed/Tulamben all the way to Lovina there is not much to see than dry landscapes.

I would suggest you drive pass Kintamani and Batur Lake and on the way back maybe go via Munduk or even take another route past Antosari. If you are not driving yourself then the Antosari route is ok. The traffic can be crazy towards Tulamben etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

Agree with cocomoco, the drive around the coast is great until after Tulamben and then it gets really, really boring. It's really is a lot longer to go this way especially with a child in the car. I also don't think you will be doing any of the sites justice by going this way as the drive is so long you will have to be rushing the sight seeing.

If you still want to do it, I would do it on the way back to Ubud instead. This way the boring bit is out of the way earlier and you will have time to stop at places like Tirta Gangga late etc. Get an early start, and get around to Amed as quickly as possible and then see how you are going for time for sightseeing. You could cut off the East Coast Road after Candi Dasa at Kasamba to get to Ubud, as you aren't missing much on the coast road from there and the inland drive through Gianyar is quite interesting.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

Here's a link to the replies I got when I asked about driving Pemuteran to Sanur

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k410…

We ended up driving down to Sanur through the mountains again although a different route to our drive up. On the way we stopped at Git Git waterfall, where we did a lot of shopping! We also stopped for lunch.

Took us over six hours, everyone else says it's about three/four hour drive so apparently we got stuck in some kind of time warp!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

Tanalee was asking about going in the opposite direction to what cocomoco and I were, so you now have answers for both ways.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 01:51
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

Far Away...the West Coast of Bali will take you around Negara, which is a very long but beautiful drive but there are lots of trucks bringing huge loads back and forth from Java. The last time I took that route I think it was about 6 hours from Ubud to Gilimanuk, and then another 30 minutes to Pemuteran.

I think you might prefer the East Coast, which will take you around Amed, Candidasa and Klungkung area, and the above suggestions are all good ideas.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

gone both ways.

as said the east coast route is nice most of the way but not so nice after amed. alternately, i think it is nicer to turn off from candidasa and head towards tirtagangga then batur for a more intereesting and varied trip. this can be a long trip but with stopovers it would be fine.

otherwise the west coast does have a lot of traffic as far as gilmanuk then nothing.. there are stop offs at balian and medewi. the trip from kuta to medewi is about two hours then less than two to pemuteran.

another way is via the west coast and turning inland straight after balian and reaching the north coast at seririt. this route has some nice inland scenery. you could add a trip to candikunning, munduk via this way but it would be quicker to go via ubd instead of as far north as balian.

so my choice would be the east coast coast and turning inland at tirta gangga. stopovers at padangbai, candidasa, tirtagangga, batur and lovina. there are a number of things to do along this route. (eg snorkel blue lagoon, swim water palace, view volcanis crator and lake, banjar hot springs) that would make it a great but long day.

decisions!!!!

7. Re: Sanur to Pemuteran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 15:16