We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inspect Repellent

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Inspect Repellent

Hi,

I would be most grateful if someone can help.

I am debating whether to buy some50% deet insect repellent at Boots (UK) and was wondering whether it can be bought in Bali and how much it costs(£)??

Many thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inspect Repellent

I would buy in UK if I were you; you can buy repellent in Bali, but not sure if it contains DEET as I have never purchased it, and not sure of the price, sorry

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inspect Repellent

I'd just buy it in the UK, then you'll have it handy right away. Who knows when you'll get the chance to buy insect repellent with DEET in it while in Bali?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,662 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inspect Repellent

Hi Toon - in Bali you can buy repellents such as Autan, Off and Soffel. Soffel has a percentage of about 12-13% DEET, I think that Off is only around 5% DEET although you can get stronger ones, and the active ingredient in Autan is Icaridin.

So if considering the stronger stuff, I would buy in Boots or Superdrug in the UK and bring with you.

I'm no expert on this, but as far as I know, the higher the percentage, the longer the protection, so 25% DEET around 6 hours protection before you need to reapply, 50% up to 12 hours protection. So actually a 30% repellent may be okay for you.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inspect Repellent

and if you can get hold of Mozzie patches, they are brilliant.

One patch on your shirt collar or waist band or bra strap (where Bra meets strap) for the ladies and it's all you need all day.

We used them last trip and didn't see a mozzie, too easy.

London, England
Level Contributor
380 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inspect Repellent

If you really suffer from nozzles, get one of the Lifesystems spray products from Milletts, Snow & Rock, Cotswold Outdoors etc., They do a range of strengths, up to my favourite which is 100% DEET. Nothing gets past that to bite you!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inspect Repellent

DEET is not a good thing, so I would seriously not be using 100% unless in very hight tropical areas. Most of Bali does not warrant such a high dosage and 25-30% DEET in a repellant is really all you need.

I have used Repel 30% and Bushmans and have found local brands like Autan or Soffel to be just as effective.

London, England
Level Contributor
380 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inspect Repellent

If 25% DEET works for an individual, that's fine. However, my husband found that useless in SE Asia but the highest strength works impeccably for him, preventing the nasty reactions he gets from mossie bites. I did say that Lifesystems have a range of different strengths. UK/EU regulations would prevent sale of an inappropriate/damaging product - we can't get melatonin products here, for example.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inspect Repellent

Sue you can actually buy Melatonin products in the UK now. I looked into it for my holiday last year but decided against it after speaking to my practice nurse who said that it's not 'medically proven' therefore they (GP's) cannot given any information on it.

London, England
Level Contributor
380 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inspect Repellent

Thanks JacDer! I will investigate but, as you say, the medical profession still won't approve it as I understand they classify melatonin as a hormone. I have never been convinced whether it is really effective, but until I try I won't know...

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inspect Repellent

Hi Toon3,

I would not use a product with such a high deet-%. I'm sure that you will be able to get one with say 30%, which should be ample.

We have one in Australia called Bushman, which puts out a 70% and also a 30%.