We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using copy of passport to hold a room?

Torquay Vic
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
using copy of passport to hold a room?

I was asked to send a photocopy of the passports of our 4 family members to hold a Sanur hotel room.

Has anybody heard of this?

Thanks

Michelle

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

no.

some places ask for a deposit. i guess its their way of knowing you are seriously going to stay.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
499 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

Tegal Sari in Ubud does it,has been doing it since I first started staying there

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,336 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

Yes, I remember Bali Discovery, a travel agent in Sanur, also asking this to secure a room booking. Also a hotel I stayed at in Lombok. I have a scanned copy of my passport just for such eventualities.

There's no hard and fast rule as to what hotels ask for in terms of securing bookings and deposit/no deposit etc.

If you're uncomfortable about providing this, then I suggest you find an alternative booking site.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

Michelle,

I agree with happynoodle that if you are uncomfortable with this, just choose another hotel or booking site. I had the same experience once when attempting to book in Bali. The booking agency also wanted a photocopy of both sides of my credit card. I had already sent the passport page, but balked at the credit card photocopy and am glad I did. Plenty of places you can book via email. Sending a photocopy of all four passports seems over the top. Why not just the one of the person reserving the room?

london
Level Contributor
977 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

Hi Michelle

Yes we have just had this request from a hotel in Sanur. We went to Indonesia in May this year and were not asked beforehand for a passport copy. WE couldn't get through on their fax and don't have quick access to a scanner , so we just posted photocopies.

Happy travels

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

They will scan your passport once you are there anyway , they scan everyones passport unpon check in to a hotel .

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

The proper proceedure is that each hotel/villa should take copies/orignal of your passport to the local police station to register you with them. These are the rules. Many hotels will only take your passport details on check-in, and then I assume that they take a list to the police station, but those following the rules as they should, will take a copy.

It's always good to carry photocopies of your passport with you anyway. And actually foreigners in Indonesia are supposed to carry their passports with them at all times, but a good photocopy will suffice. This is a rule that isn't enforced very often at all (never in all my trips) but you never know when you will need it and a police officer or immigration official is entitled to ask you to present it.

Mentioned in this post
Torquay Vic
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

Thanks Whinnie, seems sus when first hear it. What is the purpose - do you know? Am l being too paranoid about identity theft??

Thanks Michelle

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

You can never be too paranoid about identity theft, lol.

But they are just the rules in Indonesia, I guess it's how the Govt keeps track of tourists. Hotels in other countries take your passport details as well, who knows what they do with them after you give it to them.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using copy of passport to hold a room?

We were asked by both hotels for copies for our passport as well. It isn't really suss, it's fairly normal practice it seems. I dealt directly with the hotels, not through third parties.

Re credit card details, I won't email them but rather will call them directly.