We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Batavia, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
conflicting reports on safety in Bali

I'm a pretty avid traveller and a good researcher. Everything I find suggests that Bali is safe (as another reviewer mentioned---anytime we go anywhere there's always the potential for a problem) and that real warnings were lifted years ago.

I have a friend who just moved to Hong Kong and we would like her to join us (three other friends) on a trip to Bali but she said she has spoken with Hong Kong locals and a Fed-Ex Worldwide pilot who said it isn't safe. I really want to go to Bali. Is it safe for Americans or "non-white" people? I've been all over the world and the only place I ever felt threatened was in Istanbul Turkey over ten years ago when I went by myself as a woman who stood out being there by myself and being particularly tall and blonde. I just have a hard time believing Bali is dangerous.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Hi.

I was there in June and I didn't feel unsafe at all. There was still that layed back kind of feel to the place. I hadn't been there for 10 years and the one thing I did noticed is that they have really stepped up security. There was security guards outside every hotel and resort and also at clubs and bars. Some of the big nightclubs even checked under cars and in their car boots.

Go and have a great time. No where in the world is safe these days.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Hi joyful - it's only natural to get conflicting reports and opinions on different destinations. I know someone who liked Istanbul so much she bought an apartment there.

I would say though that if someone told me somewhere wasn't safe, I'd be asking them for more information and what their experiences were to lead them to this conclusion. Or is this just what they've read or heard third-hand from a friend of a friend's cousin who one knew someone who visited.

Bali is probably as safe as most other destinations, in fact I feel safer there than in the UK certainly.

As with anywhere else, it helps to be mindful of what's going on around you, so don't get too drunk so you can't think straight. Don't accept lifts from strangers. Look both ways when you cross the road. Walk gingerly on slippery floors in your bathroom or around the pool to avoid slipping and injury.

You'll find that there's a pretty good security presence in shops, some restaurants, and hotels.

No-one is going to guarantee that something won't happen to you; there was an earthquake a couple of weeks ago. And an Aussie nurse recently suffered ill health thanks to drinking some booze spiked with methanol.

But purely playing the odds, there's more chance of you slipping and fatally injuring yourself in the shower at home, or of being involved in a car crash on the way to the airport, than of anything happening to you on holiday.

Having recently returned, there were many Americans and non-white people there, all having a great time.

Do be aware that not all travel warnings have been lifted, the Aussie government has a travel advisory in place. Despite this, Aussies account for the majority of the 2.5 million tourists that Bali gets each year. That's a heck of a lot of people for somewhere that isn't safe.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Well to be honest, I have seen a great deal of change in the decades I have been travelling to Bali, however, I still feel safe and travel to Bali regularly on my own.

I have written a book on Bali (Bali Addiction) which may be helpful to you as one of the chapters is called Awas Di Bali (Be Careful in Bali) But, like all places in the world, we cannot predict the unknown, but tourist numbers right now are at a record high so that in itself speaks volumes.

At the moment I am in Bali around every 6 weeks so probably more exposed than the average tourist, I also get to hear all the local insights. Just let your common sense prevail and enjoy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

I would be willing to bet that the people who are saying it's not safe have never been to Bali.

I have travelled with dozens of first time Bali visitors over the years and they all, without exception worry about the safety before they go. Once they get there, it's not a subject that even arises. It is a non-issue.

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Obviously its a personal choice but, honestly, I wouldn't take children to Bali. I think there are issues of personal safety and behaviour from both locals and tourists that I dont think children should be exposed to. In terms of security, while it has been some time since there has been a successful attack, the authorities are continuing to uncover or receive information on proposed or failed acts of terrorism that had the potential to affect tourists.

For my own safety, I'm more than prepared to take the risk but I wouldnt make that same choice for children or other adults.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

I would still happily take children to Bali with no concerns. I would however avoid Kuta.

In terms of behaviour and attitude, I can't get over the amount of young kids wearing such t shirts as "" go to Bunnings bulid a bridge and F*****ing get over it " though and kids under 8 DO NOT belong in adult late night drag shows.

They are the real dangers :) :)

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Under 8? I dont think kids of any age should be at adult venues.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

here now not a problem.

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

Oh, you probably meant 18 didnt you? :)

Yarrawonga...
Level Contributor
492 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: conflicting reports on safety in Bali

I have been taking my children to Bali for the past 10 years and I don't believe I have ever feared for their safety or mine. The only time I feel unsafe is on the plane on the way over and back.

Mandie_8