We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

I am coming to Bali (i hope) with my husband on Nov 15th for 8 days and just read that there is a "credible risk" of terrorist attack by Islamic extremists due to the expected attendance of numerous heads of state - including Barack Obama. Security will be very high. We will not be staying in Kuta- we are in Jimbaran Bay at a villa & Ubud at a small hotel during the time of the summit. The summit is going to take place in Nusa Dua at the Bali Nusa Dua Convention Center.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Hi r,

So you're not staying in Nusa Dua and are not part of the summit delegation?

No-one, including the security services, has a crystal ball and can predict that something will/won't happen between certain dates (despite the psychic soldier program back in the Cold War). If there is a credible risk, then I'm sure that security services are taking steps to mitigate those risks. Five warships were dispatched yesterday to secure the summit, along with other security forces. Preparations are being monitored by the Indonesian President. The summit hasn't been cancelled. The delegates haven't cancelled. Obama hasn't cancelled.

If you look on the State Department website, there are no travel alerts for US Citizens, and there are no travel warnings.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Just in case you missed it there was also the G20 Summit in Cannes last week. As far as I know my friend that lives there didn't sell her flat and move a safe distance away.

Various meetings of various world leaders take place somewhere every year.

There have been G8/G7 summits since 1975 and G20 since 1999 and every time there will be some sort of heightening of "security" with the accompanying "risk" statements.

It is up to the individual how one takes these statements - pinch of salt, Kabul central or somewhere in between.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

With the amount of security surrounding Obama the safest place to be would be as close to him as possible. Security would be there now ahead of time preparing for his visit. No-one can guarantee your safety anywhere in the world at any given time. Warnings have been in place for Bali for some time due to the bali bombings and there has been discussion to lift these warnings. In fact places other than Bali also have warnings. It is not unexpected that they have suggested "credible risk". You are staying in areas away from Nusa Dua and even IF you were staying there it is highly unlikely you would be involved in any type of danger. good luck with your decision.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

I would feel more at risk on the flights than on the ground in Bali.

I wouldn't want to be in Nusa Dua during the visit though, purely because of inconvenience.

Edited: 09 November 2011, 11:16
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

rmitchel5, as you are from Minneapolis maybe you could update me on local conditions there and let me know if it is safe to travel within Minnesota yet.

I have been thinking of visiting Minneapolis but I am concerned about being attacked by someone with a firearm. If I do travel to Minneapolis is there any chance that might happen to me?

I have been also been warned that it is far too dangerous to travel anywhere in Minnesota and that there is a high probability of attack by rogue government elements using drone launched hellfire missiles and a very good chance of terrorist attacks arising from local neo-nazi white supremacist groups and outlaw crystal meth dealers who wish to bring down the government.

Is it possible that some of these individuals or groups are becoming more mobile and that they are also planning attacks in Bali this month?

Will my travel insurance cover me for this if I go to Minneapolis or elsewhere in the USA. Should I cancel my travel arrangements and try to get a ticket refund?

I have understood that the Governor of Minnesota, Mark Dayton, raised the state's terror alert to "High" in May of this year and that the local people of Minnesota have a tradition of letting off bombs that goes back at least as far as the 1970s.

Am I feeling unreasonably concerned and should I fear for my safety when visiting Minneapolis, or anywhere else in the state of Minnesota?

Can you let me know your thoughts on this rmitchel5.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Rude and unnecessary PP

Enjoy your trip OP

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

I don't think it is rude LisaAJ, and is certainly not meant to be.

No doubt the OP was not intending to be rude toward the people of Indonesia when she made her comments either. Point is people get far too disturbed by fears built upon supposition and rumour. Indeed it is a frequent theme here on these Bali forums

BTY the state of Minnesota does have a history of domestic bombings.. The state of Minnesota also has significant issues with aggressive white supremacist and neo-Nazi groups and the US government has been firing hellfire missiles at US citizens quite frequently lately. All things in the world are relative and I cannot see why anyone should have a genuine and seriously supportable fear of imagined issues in Bali when there are plenty of things to worry about in their own back yard.

My intention should be quite clear LisaAJ and obviously I also hope the OP has a wonderful trip to Bali, hopefully without the carrying of any unnecessary fear and trepidation of invisible enemies all the way from the US.

rmitchel5 is no doubt also quite capable of speaking for herself LisaAJ and I hope she just gets on an aircraft and leaves her worries behind.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Happy noodleboy - thank you for yoru comments. Giftswerg - well noted. Snookystravel - i appreciate your comments

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

Your main danger in the time you're here in Bali is likely to be slips, trips and falls- particularly now rainy season's started. Slippery tiles, wet mossy steps, cracked footpaths, potholes, scattered builders sand. I kid you not, this is what gets people here.. not the 'big risk items'

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concern for risk of terrorism during ASEAN summit Nov 17-19

J, as a regular on here, I think you post was valid and designed to point out that there a local problems everywhere in the world and we should take them on board and be aware, but this question, or one similar, is on here all the time and Bali is at no great risk than anywhere else in the world. As a local J must be at times offended, that the perception is that Bali is at far greater risk of terrorism than it actually is.

Lisa, J has a unique sense of humour that all of the regulars on this forum appreciate. He is also a wealth of knowledge of both local and world issues and did not mean to offend, but was mearly showing how a bit of knowledge can be distorted.