We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR 6th-23rd July..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
JBR 6th-23rd July..

Sorry it took so long to post...

6th..We(myself,52 yr old hubby,24 yr old son and his girlfriend,20 yr old daughter) flew into Bali with Malaysian Airlines and were through in abot 30 minutes.Our driver from Yuli Bungalows was waiting with a sign and took us to Yuli.Great location down a gang opposite the Melasti(next door to Hidden Gardens).Our Villa was HUGE...2 bedrooms each with 2 double beds,ensuite upstairs,,,downstairs was huge lounge and dining,kitchen,bathroom,...beautifully furnished,huge TV and fantastic friendly staff on duty 24/7.Bargain at $150 a night for 5.There are 4 villas,a lovely pool,they stock your fridge and replenish it and the prices are same as the cheapest supermarket!...So we sat by the pool,met some others and had our first Bintang!We went for a walk to check venues for the first State of Origin,and found The Garden view.Booked in and had a Bintang!Massage at Eden Green fo $6 and dinner at Kartinis(a little local restaurant down the gang next to All Seasons)YUM,fantastic and food and drinks for 5 was $10.70.Swim and bed!

7th...Breakfast at Su's$20 for 5 .Lovely...Dinner at Seaside$120 but we had platters and cocktails!Bargain hunting for trips.we did this around Kamala pantai.Went to 1,got prices and wrote them down,,then moved on.next one beat the prices,we moved on.3rd beat them again but the fourth couldn't match.So we went back to the 3rd!All up took half an hour and saved HEAPS.E.G..Ocean Rafting started at $90,we got it for $63.Our booth was outside the nightclub near the Kumala Pantai,and we were picked up here for all or tours.

8th...Ocean Rafting with Bali Hai,a fantastic day.Breakfast and dinner at Wali Warung.OK but not great....Massage

9th...White Water Rafting at Telagawaja River..$25 each and so much fun.Taxis to Kuta from villa($4)

10th...The girls had a 4 hour pamper at Briella($46),lunch at Petite Cafe(next door to Walis Warung),Fish spas..eeekkk.Petite cafe is wonderful and we kept returning!We discoverd Santa's fixed price shop.A wonderful lady with fantastic prices..and all sizes.Billabong cotton shirts in 4XL were $6,Sunnies(Raybans etc) were $3,Billabong T Shirts $3-4,purses$5 .She gave us water and cuddles galore and we could try everything on...and she insisted on giving us freebies as wellThere are fairy dresses in the window,located in 23 Sahaweda ST,Legian,near garlic Lane.We compared to Ketuts and she was cheaper,nicer and had a much better variety.!Dinner at Lemongrass OK but not great($50)

11th...Breakfast at Cafe Petite.Full breakfast served by lovely staff for $13...remember we are 5 adults.....and off to Waterbom Park.Great fun!!Try the Mocktail Mojitos at the pool bar!And you can order your food at the bar and they will get it.Dinner in Kuta after visiting the memorial at Prawita($38) and was great.....Keep in mind ALL our meal prices include all drinks,usually 2 beers,4 cocktails and 4 juices...

12th...Our driver Sila picked us up for a full day touring..we did a beach crawl to Ulawtu.then Kecac Dance.Monkeys climbing on us,not aggressive at all but Sila shooed away any which may have been.Loved Padang Padang Beach.Lunch at a cafe on the point at Ulawatu was wonderful.

13th...Petite Cafe for breakfast and off to the safari Park.We used the driver from the tour booth ($30 for the day)and paid $28 for tickets.There was only the orangatang for photos so basic package was best.

14th...off to see Santa again!Caps are 4 for 100000,sunnies 5 for 100000,wallets 40000 and sizes to 5 XL.Chill on the beach at sunset then to the Kumala Pantai for dinner and a bonus dance performance.

15th..Off to Ubud with Sila and Tanah Lot on the way.We met our car hire people and picked up the Suzuki APV at Honeymoon Guest House.I had arranged this from Australia with Balicar and Motorcycle Rentals ..$133 for 5 days with navman.Car was like new and sat 7.On our way to Lovina via the Strawberry Stop.WOW fantastic..lunch to die for($20 for lunch,drinks and 2 kilos strawbs),beautiful grounds too.Easy driving even though its a windy mountain road.Found 1000 Dream Bungalow at lovina...WOW...on the beach,just 8 rooms ,a pool by the water,WOW.($40)..It is a little out of town but there are Bemos but having a car was great.Dinner at 1000 Dreams,open air by the pool and ocean.Headed into town,booke Dolphin tour with a tout for $6 and met fantastic people.NO AUSSIES IN LOVINA!

16th....Up for sunrise dolphins.Great fun and we saw heaps.maybe it is cruel but the dolphins come back each day.honestly to me it seemed like a game to them.We went for a drive to Aling Aling Falls and stumbled on HEAVEN...Ashanti has 2 villas,and the most wonderful restaurant,with the most peaceful views in the world.Lunch was beautiful for $56(a few cocktails!)..they have pergolas for 2 down the valley,just STUNNING.Food to die for too.Dinner at a warung in Kalibukbuk,then the usual pub singalong!

17th....Up early for driver Herman to take us to Menjangan island.We had the car but it worked out cheaper for the package.He did driving and organised our day for $25 each(incl lunch)We had our own boat with driver and diving guide.STUNNING..best snorkelling we have ever done.Back about 3,chill then Seaside for dinner.Lovely meal on the beach..and back to the pub!

18th...Pack up then drove to Banjar Hot Springs.Took the wrong way to Ubud,drove through VERY windy mountain roads through Lake Batur but it was beautiful.Arrived Ubud and found our accomodation...Narasoma Guesthouse.Perfect location,Spotlessly clean,carved beds,Views to mt Agung off the huge balcony and a wonderful pool down by the river.We had 2 of the 3 upstairs rooms and they were $35 a double.(9 rooms only)Dinner at Warung Mina..cheap and very good.

19th..lovely free breakfast on the balcony ..go for a drive to Mengawi temple,Celak and maas.Dinner at Manguu Madu($28) was great with lots of drinks!

20th...off to the markets ,lots of shopping and then through Monkey Forest.I found this really scary after the monkeys at Ulawatu.They were very aggressive.Dropped off car at Monkey Forest.Went to tech english at a village school,a fantastic experience and then to Laka Leke for dinner and show.We loved it.Shows are about $10,so this was great value as meals,drinks,and show were $73.Food and service outstanding.We walked home in the dark through Monkey Forest!

21st....Ecocycling tour.Set price of $36 but we got it on the street the day before for $30.Great value and great fun.Lunch beautiful and they really looked after us.Tried Lewak Coffee.Dinner at Bunute(they lured us in with free Mojito's then had 2 for 1)..Great reggae band and a fun night for $80.That included LOTS of drinks!

22nd...Slow day.Sari Organic for lunch.Nice walk but we were no impressed with the food or drinks.Dinner at Warung Mina at the top level...WONDERFUL.Cheap authentic food in a beautiful setting.Pack for Borneo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone for your help in putting our trip together.All food recommendations spot on except Yogyi.(we hated it!)...and all advise accurate.Any questions just ask.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Thanks. Some great detail there, it will be very helpful.

brisbane
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Thanks for the great report. I had previously heard that the police target Aussies driving...did you find this the case???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

no we had no problems at all..but we wouldn't have driven around Legian.That's why we picked it up in Ubud!My husband drove and we really never had any problems...and we used $20 of fuel in 5 days!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

And just adding..we had No bali Belly (took vitamin B double dose for a month),No mossies,We were not assaaulted,abused or Ripped off anywhere in Bali.....Just go and enjoy it.Be sensible but don't let everyting that might happen ruin your holiday!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Great read and info, thanks could you please expand a bit more on how to find Santa's fixed price shop as I would love to visit next week, I know you have included her address but a bit more of the surrounding area description would be great.. thanks heaps Tooty

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

I got lost getting there,so will try.It's on Garlic Lane(I just found out Sahadewa St is another name for garlic lane).As we walked from the Melasti it was always on our right.The shop has all fairy costumes in the window..Mobile phone number is 08174733463.The address is Sahaweda Street No 23C....Some stock in shop but ask to go out the back...Hubby is 100KG and she had Boardies and Billabong cotton shorts too big for him!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

There are no shops opposite it...a big wall,and Posers is the other side of the road to santas,down the far end.Hubby said it's the second shop from the corner when going towards Kuta from Melasti.Does this help?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Great thanks heaps we head off this week for another wonderful holiday in Bali and I am always up to discovering new fixed price places to shop at.. So i'll give your directions a whirl..Tooty

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Yep that does help, know exactly where you are talking about.. thanks heaps again..Tooty

Golden Beach...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR 6th-23rd July..

Thanks for so much helpful info,

i was also interested in knowing how to get to Santas, now i have it written in my travel book along with mobile and address plus your mud map!!

We love Thai food, we like it to be hot, what was Lemon grass missing, i have lunch there as a maybe while we are shopping for the day, however your comments now have me wondering.

Also did you find the driving all around up north around Loveina and then inland to tiring?

Would you return to the top end and inland to the waterfalls or not?

We do not have time on our trip in Feb however we are planning a trip in Sept Oct with a few family members who have never been to Bali so we are going to take them to our fav spots however we thought it might be worth planning in a couple of days up North???

Thanks for such a informative JBR i have gleemed heaps from yours

cheers