We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

We will be booking VIP service for arrival at airport. I have read the posts advising that it is unnecessary however we decided it is probably worth it for us as we are travelling with a 4 month old baby and 2 other small children and elderly parents. VoA have quoted me $20 US per adult and $10 US per child for the service. Does this sound like the going rate?

Thank once again to all who reply.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,021 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Yes, that sounds about right, but I really don't think it's worth you doing so. It has probably been at least 12 months, since anyone has mentioned a lengthy wait to get through Immigration/Customs. In fact, it will take you longer both exiting and entering Australia.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
93 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Thanks Sue C. We will be entering on Christmas Eve evening. Thought it might be busier than usual at airport at this time? I haven't been to Bali for 10 years though so I really don't know.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,021 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

It will most likely be just another day....we have travelled there many times over a 20 year period and in all truth, only once have we only ever had a lengthy wait to get through - that would have been just under 3 years ago.

All the best.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Those prices do not include the price of your VOA's though, just in case you weren't aware of this.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

it is really a waste of money to pay for this service. Even IF they get you through before everyone else they have no control how fast your luggage comes out and you can often be waiting for this. That is a lot of money to spend to get someone to simply buy your visas (this takes a couple of minutes only one of you need to line up to do this there is no waiting), and then have your passports stamped. If your family line up and wait for one of you to buy the visas you really won't have too long to wait. Things have dramatically improved at the airport, some time back there were often lengthy delays but now people are generally reporting back that they are getting through in next to no time. I find the delays getting in and out of australia are worse.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Took us about 40 minutes to get through customs. Is that considered long ? We were in by far the slowest queue and were about the last through from our plane. Even if 40 minutes is long (it is) and 20 minutes is average, it's not worth $50 trying to save 20 minutes. To me anyway.

Then again, as we were last out, it was another 15-20 minutes in the taxi queue. This is where your money could be better spent as our fixed fare into Kuta was 50,000 (about $6) and the privateers would have taken us for 100,000. Another $6 to save 20 minutes is worth it, especially as you are outside the air conditioned terminal.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

The main issue with VIP VOA is that they can't control when your luggage comes off the luggage belt. So although you may get visas quicker, your VIP VOA service could then be waiting ages for your luggage. So this means that people who actually got off the plane after you and didn't pay for the VIP service could get their luggage and be outside in their car before you.

To answer your question, then as per Whinnie, this is roughly the going rate, but you're each going to have to add your $25USD to the amount you've been quoted each.

Roughly 30 mins is about the average time from getting off the plane to getting outside with your bags, regardless of whether you pay for VIP VOA or not.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

If you're not on a tight budget I would suggest you do it. We travelled with my grandchildren and it was fantastic, we never stopped walking and when we arrived for the luggage we had pushchairs to find and money to change - so that was done while we waited for the bags - about 5 mins in all. We're not travelling together next trip but my daughter says she will definitely be doing it again.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

Really there are a lot of better ways for you to spend the $100.00 or so that the provider will charge you. You are not likely to gain any benefit from the payment and are unlikely to leave the airport any quicker. Just line up at the VOA immigration channel with everyone else.

One person from your group can buy the required VOA vouchers to present with the passports at the immigration control point while the main group is waiting in line.

Christmas is generally much like any other day in Indonesia, though it is a holiday. Christmas eve is generally unspectacular.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIP service by VoA Bali - right price?

I like the idea of the VIP service but there is now really no need for it anymore. I suffer a spinal disability and am unable to stand or walk for long and a couple of years ago we traveled to bali and got held up at imigration for over 2 hours with no chairs or anything that would help so last trip (may 2011) I booked a disability service (same as VIP) through the travel agents to be sure I would not have to go through the same thing but to my surprise most passengers got through relatively quick and were not far behind be to pass through imigration. I did get through very quick and it is a shame that Australian imaigration were not as helpful. they were useless

However I will be using the same service on my next trip to Bali

Cheers Ian