We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

We visited Bali last year and met a wonderful Family. We are going back in May and they have invited us to stay with them for a few days. We are from Canada and want to bring them a few gifts. What would be some good ideas? They are a couple in their 30's and have 4 children. The children range from newborn to teens.

Also, we plan to bring the children some chocolate and this may be a dumb question but can we bring chocolate into the Country without any problems? We've never brought food into another Country before.

Any help and ideas would be so appreciated! :) Thanks so much!

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

Hi!

Yes, you can bring chocolate. Indonesian chocolate is not as nice as other countries, it has some ingredient added to help it "not melt" so easily. NOt harmful, but changes the taste.

May I suggest you take some Canadian items as gifts? Things with Canadian emblem etc. Mugs, melamine bowls for the kids, tea towel, hats/caps, tissue box holders, stationery souvenirs all these will be unique to the family, and appreciated as can be put to everyday use.

Clothing etc can probably be bought cheaper in Bali.

hope this helps you!

wendy

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

We are taking some stuff over next time we go we have bought dolls for girls and little cars for boys we have also bought some perfume and toilet things a few picture books and when we get there we buy a bucket of chubba chups for everyone to share.

Perth West Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

Just give them money! They can then buy whatever they really want or need. Consider that $100 is over one months wage for a worker - and I guarantee that they would be able to buy much, much more than you can with $100. And they will be buying exactly what they want!

If $100 is too much - then give $25 - one weeks wage!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

We are friendly with a family in Phonm Penh and last time we were there we left the children at home with auntie and took the parents out for a day. Lunch in a nice place and then a trip to the local market. We gave the wife $100 and had fun while she dragged us around from stall to stall buying all sorts of clothing, shoes and othr bits & pieces for them all.

Then a lovely boat ride down the river to a beautiful little spot where we had a wonderful late afternoon tea.

We had also bought a heap of toiletries, some perfume and makeup when we were in Bangkok for them all.

Everyone had a wonderful time and we all enjoyed the experience.

I know this is Bali and you can't do the river trip thing, but what we did is just a bit of an idea. Often the wife has little opportunity to get out of the house and a day out was very special for her.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

I would be tempted to buy the children some things for school - like a backpack with a canadian emblem on it, or mickey mouse - some pens pencils - exercise books - maybe a atlas or a english text book (being able to speak another language is a huge asset)

something that makes a difference to the outcome of their life

remember they saying - give a man a fish you feed him for a day - teach a man to fish you feed him for life -

Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

Wonderful ideas from all of you!!! Thank you so much!

What would be a good gift for a 17 year old, Balinese Teenage Girl? I'm sure teenage girls likes are much different in Bali then here at home.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

For a 17yr old girl maybe some lip gloss,perfume or nice stationary.

The family will be overwhelmed and so appreciative of your kind gesture.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

Cute clothes, handfones, riding around looking cute on a motorbike and boys.....seem to be the key interests of the teenage girls that I run into.

I thought I had better double check this with mrs hurcules who has quite a few teenage nieces.

Mrs hurcules is something of a confidant to some number of them and these are apparently some of the key interests of teenage girls in Lombok...

suka jalan jalan dan lihat lihat, mau mau pakaian yang seksi seksi dan cantik, mau lihat cantik cantik di atas sepedamotor, suka main main handfone, suka main main sama teman dan suka cari pacar.

Don't use one of those online translators, it won't come out right.

This is roughly what the above means...

Like to wander about seeing whats going on, desire attractive and sexy clothing that makes them look beautiful, like to ride around on a motorbike looking very attractive, like playing with their handfones, calling up and SMSing people, doing things with their friends, and like boys...and possibly looking for a boyfriend.

So pretty much what I thought.

How you fit a gift into that is a mystery but going shopping is generally fun.

Most of the local chocolate is rubbish, which is a pity as most Indonesians do like chocolate.

Imported chocolate is available in the bigger supermarkets including some of the more well known european brands.

TLM-Sydney-RH's suggestion is pretty much on the mark I think, as is travelkat's.

It may be a surprise after what I have intimated above but all my teenage nieces like fruit. When people have asked these questions on the forums before I have often suggested gifts of fruit, it is generally a sure success.

Everyone will share it and it is pretty easy to find.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 21:37
9. Re: Gift ideas for friends in Bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:33