We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air australia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
air australia

someone has just commented on Air Australia's facebook page that Air Australia is going into liquidation.. any info to the contrary would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air australia

If they cannot pay their landing fees, are refused fuel or air airport services, if they stop paying their insurance, (there was an issue with that a while back apparently), or their crew, or start making hurried announcements concerning mergers, engaging with un-likely investors or getting into strife with aircraft lease payments, then maybe there is something going on.

Someone making a comment on a facebook page has about as much credibility as a gurgling noise coming from a drain unless it is referring to a credible source, preferably an industry publication of some kind, and not the tabloid media who often just make things up on the spur of the moment possibly after listening to their own gurgling internal plumbing.

I could not find anything on their facebook page, maybe it got removed or was buried somewhere I did not see.

Even if there was something to see there it would be of dubious credibility unless it was put there by their management or at a stretch a disgruntled employee. Some of them have spoken up a few times regarding issues with Strategic Aviation, including Strategic Air ops.

If Air Australia has a problem it will be Strategic Aviation that is in trouble in any case as Air Australia is just a trading name used by Strategic Air, a division of Strategic Aviation.

Sounds like nonsense to me, especially as the process of "liquidation" would be a long way down the path following an announcement of technical insolvency. Plenty of airlines continue operations in those circumstances anyway.

Look at Japan Airlines, they just placed orders 10 new Boeing Dreamliners and they filed for bankruptcy in 2010.

That is not to say the concept has no merit, it is always a possibility for any airline to go financially belly up, unless they are sitting on something around 50% market share in a growing market, even then things can screw up.

If you want to see what that looks like to have a 50%+ position in a growing market then have a look at Lion Air in Indonesia, they just confirmed the largest new aircraft order in aviation history and are aiming for 60% of the domestic market and to be a significant regional international aviation operator by 2015.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 18:33
Sunny Coast...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: air australia

That post is still there Hercules, I came across it this morning. Up the top of the Air Australia page you have to click on Everyone(Most Recent) to see it.

I hope everything will be alright as I am flying with them next week.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: air australia

Thanks Hurcules,

The post is still there and the person said he heard it from someone in the industry. But that still doesn't make it true, as you say ,could be a disgruntled employee. Anyway will just have to take the wait and see approach lol...We got insolvency insurance before all that debacle started......

Thanks again ( have everything crossed)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: air australia

Shinee,

I'm sure that you will be OK, we don't fly until end of April so I'm a teeny teeny bit worried...lol

Enjoy your holiday.!!

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air australia

Lets hope that they will not go under. At this stage it is only hear say so there is hope yet. If it was about Qantas I might be worried ,cause i think they are in for a very rough time soon, staff wise. Anyway I am with Hercules on this one. I think he has answered any so called questions / problems if they do arise. We can only sit back and watch if there are for any developments.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 02:02
Sunny Coast...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: air australia

It would of been comforting to have a reply from them, especially when they have been online and replied to other comments.

You have the same profile picture pinkos4 :)

Shauna

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: air australia

There is a lot in the media about it too unfortunately. The Australian, SMH and Crikey.

theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/air-a…

Hopefully it isn;t what it looks like.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: air australia

I have just read the same articles as well... What the hell is going on with them?

Just google Air Australia and all these articles come up that were posted today. I can't believe they are still taking people's money...

I have insolvency insurance, but am worried for those who do not.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: air australia

Hi Hercules,

Have a look at some articles that were posted today in the Syd Morn Herald,

Business Spectator and the Australian.

Is not looking good for them!

AA does owe money to Aviation Aust. (Perth Airport) and another airport as well. Looks like going to court.

ANZ is reviewing the company as well.

Such a shame to read all this and they are still taking people's money, probably hoping to trade out of trouble..

Please tell me i'm wrong!!!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: air australia

Shauna, I totally agree with you!!!

and I have the same profile picture as Pinkos4 ???? lol

What do you mean?