We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

We are a family of 4, with 2 kids under 9 yrs. How are the queues at the bali Intl Airport? ( arriving at 9:30pm) is the fastrack services recommended? what do they do? Thanks

Minnesota
Level Contributor
255 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

It would have been a total waste of money when I went through a couple of weeks ago. There was no delay. Waited far longer for our bags to arrive than I did to get VOA and go through immigration. Very fast.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

No, it's not worth it :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

there are numerous posts like yours. Firstly the 'fast track VOA' is actually illegal - although it has been in operation for some time. It is really a money making scheme and not worth using.

Secondly don't waste all that money. The queues of the past have really stopped now. Even if you pay for them to get your passports through immigration they can't ensure your luggage will be waiting for you and you will still have to wait like everyone else if the luggage is slow coming through.

To get yourself through asap get one of you to purchase the 4 visas while the other 3 go straight to the immigration line and take a place and by the time you get there you should be within a few minutes of getting through.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

I have been to Bali twice in this month. Both times we got through very quickly. Even quicker when flying Garuda and pre paid voa.

I would keep the money to spend on your trip

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

To call the system Illegal is a little bit strong, it is operating with the approval of the airport and the immigration people at DPS

It is advertised openly and while it would fit into the category of corruption or questionable and ethical, never the less it is a service provided and works in conjunction with the officals at the airport.

Singapore has a similar service called jetquay - which is a lot more swish, where you are met at the aircraft door with a buggy and whisked off to a private lounge, where your passport is processed, while you have a shower or a coffee or a drink, the concierge gets your baggage and then a car takes you to your hotel. On departure its the other way around.

However the system is working fast according to everyonem, I have used VIP and got thru 2 hours faster than other passengers and I have used it and got thru the same time.

Now with Garuda VOA on board I will not be needing the service, but I can highly recommend it

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

our001 - this is an illegal service, no matter how you look at it. I can't comment about the Singaporean service that is available, however the Indonesian one is very much illegal.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 03:59
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

Thanks everyone. Very much appreciate the inputs. Just wanted a current picture there seems a lot of wait in the past

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

It is operating under the noses of the Immigration Officials - who stamp you into the country , it is not illegal - dodgy maybe .

No one is going to get arrested for taking part in the program ........ if it should be on offer is the questions BUT it is on offer - all the 6 star hotels offer it to their guests, and many people use it.

It might not be as necessary as it used to be, but it is less illegal that the hide some rupiah in my passport and approach an official with which line to I get into - ah this line - and thank you Sir when are you leaving we will look after you on the way home etc

It is a service offered to tourists, and as a tourist If I want to pay for it, I will.

An illegal service is something underhand - no websites - no people standing around at the bottom of the escalators in a secure zone - who walk in and out of a secure zone all day long - with the proper id badges etc.

I use a similar service every time I leave and arrive in Sydney - it is called Express Path - it is a paid service that the airlines pay for their frequent flyers and business class passengers, It does get me to the front of the immigration line on the outbound, it gives me a seperate screening area - with no lines - and on arrival home I get a dedicated Immigration service, and then I get a special lane thru quarantine and customs. Hardly illegal but not really any different to the VIP service being offered - except the passenger pays for it direct rather than the airline

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

I am sorry but it is outrageous to compare the Express path arrivals in Sydney to this service. At no point in Australia does someone take your passport from you and have it processed by customs and immigration on your behalf. Why anyone would give their passport to a stranger especially in Indonesia is beyond me.

Edited: 29 March 2012, 08:02
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth taking up the fast track VOA?

No, something illegal means something that is not written in law, not officially auspiced by the government. Just because it is advertised doesn't mean that it's legal. The service offerd by Garuda is legal - it has been officially ok-ed by the indonesian government.

It is nothing like the service offered in Sydney. In Sydney, you will still be screened, your passport properly processed by an customs officer while you stand in front of them, and your details entered into a system, right down to the minute. This does not occur in Indonesia, and part of that money that is paid goes into the pocket of the immigration officer. That doesn't happen in Australia.

Further, as someone who knows how immigration lines works internationally, partially in Indonesia, I actually know what I'm talking about. This isn't merely my opinion.