We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali belly from pool water????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Bali belly from pool water????

Am traveling to Bali later this year with 2 kids aged 4 and 7. They love the pool and are at sn age where they constantly blow bubbles and spit water in the pool. Is there any danger in drinking or swallowing pool water in Bali? I imagine unlike tap water the chlorine and chemicals kill off the ecoli etc? Appreciate people's thought.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

Thanks all. That's what I figured but makes me feel better to hear others confirm.

Cheers

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

How clean pool water is will depend on how well it is maintained, the temperature, how many people are using the pool. I know what kids are like swallowing pool water, spitting it out etc but you really have to keep in mind that other kids pee in the water, people get in sweaty, not showered, dirty feet, etc and combine this with the heat and time since the water was last tested and treated there is a good chance of rather undesirable germs breeding in the water. Try all you can between now and when you go to Bali to discourage your children from putting the water in their mouth. My youngest is 7, swims every week and has suffered many ear infections from the pools in Bali. We keep earplugs in we even use blu tac which works well. We drum into her the importance of not putting any pool water in her mouth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

snookystraveltips you missed that some people may have not wiped their bottoms properly too....that in itself could be a problem if the water is not chlorinated enough

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

YUK--this had gotten really gross.. Gosh, there's a reason I stay away from family pools as much as possible.

Wonthaggi, Australia
Level Contributor
901 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

This is gross!! But really, do our kids need cotton wool to swim in the pool now too? Would you even consider any of these things before getting in a public pool at home?????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

Couldn't agree more. All I wanted to know is if the water in Bali pools is as dangerous as tap water. Answer is clear. no. Chlorine and chemicals kill all that stuff off any other "dangers" are no different to any other pol anywhere in the world.

Happy for this forum to be closed off.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

I don't understand the "cotton wool" question? What is that?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

The "better" hotels take more care with the pools ph levels , un less I am staying at a decent hotel with a large pool I genrally avoid the pool after 3pm.Especially those with swim up bars..

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

The art of adoxography is alive a well. The light heart vibe of this thread has given me a laugh. Cheers..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bali belly from pool water????

Cempaka, I had to look that up. You were obviously schooled better than I....