We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and luggage security

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos and luggage security

Hi all,

Travelling with family to Bali later this year and interested in people's thoughts on 2 issues.

1) Mosquitos, how bad are they? What precautions do you need to take? Will be staying at the Holiday Inn Baruna resort in Tuban (South Kuta). 2 kids under 8 with us.

2) Do people recommend getting luggage "sealed" with that cling on wrap stuff at the airport before we leave Oz for security? If not that what about locks? Don't want to take any risks of baggage handlers "inserting" stuff into our bags for us given bali's recent history.

Appreciate thoughts and advice on these 2 issues.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

Hi there

am in Bali now and mosquitoes are around but not any more than usual.however the risk of dengue fever is higher at the moment so always use a personal repellent even in the daytime and spray room at night. As you are going later in the year things might have improved.

Re luggage: have been to Bali many times and always had a secure lock but never bothered with the wrapping. I don't think it's worth it but if it makes you feel more comfortable go for it!!

Enjoy your trip, the kids will love it

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

Thanks Georgiegirl53. What type of repellant do you recommend and when you say spray the room, again what with in particular?

Cheers and many thanks

JK

Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

Hi there

We are just back from Bali and the mosquitoes were definitely around. We use Bushman's repellant - its very high DEET so may not be ideal for kids (although they do make different strengths). The mossies always found the one spot I had missed, or it had washed off, especially during the day in dark spots (like inside cafe's) so be vigilant! I think you are more likely to get bitten by the dengue-carrying mosquito during the day but so far so good!

I've never wrapped my luggage but always taken a hard, lockable case and not had any issues.

Have a great time - the weather when we were there last week was beautiful.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

We use bushmans insect repellant and cable tie our bags.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

It really does not matter what your hotel does re mosquitos, we should take responsibility for our own health & wellbeing eg Insect Repellent & the same as you would do at home re hand washing. www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/factsheets.cfm…

also Insect repellents-Kids Health Info

Deet messes with mosquito's 'nose'. Mosquito's are crazy for two human scents, sweaty body odour & the carbon dioxide in breath and everyone reacts different to mosquito saliva.

Dengue mosquitos highest biting intensity is about 2hrs after sunrise & before sunset.

Rid, Bushman's & Aerogard Tropical strength all contain Deet.

Burn mozzie coils outside you room when leaving for the evening, we also put a coil under the vanity in the bathroom and close the door.

(you can buy spray & coils in Bali)

Small padlocks from the hardware store and lock every zip opening on your luggage. Don't pack valuables in check-in luggage.

We don't plastic wrap here (Adelaide) but it is available at Ngurah Rai before check-in. ?? why would you & if one or two 'little' men insist you do, tell em 'they're dreaming'.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

Do you really think something was inserted in her luggage ??? If you do I have a great investment opportunity for you -a bridge in Sydney that people pay to use ...

Just use cable tie and off insect repellant -reapply after swimming

Edited: 07 May 2012, 10:03
Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

? Don't want to take any risks of baggage handlers "inserting" stuff into our bags for us given bali's recent history.

One person claiming insertion does not make it Bali history.. :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

mosquitos have been a lot worse this wet season, there have been more people returning with dengue. If you search the bali forum by typing 'dengue fever' then you can read about this and also read more about repellants, room sprays etc.

I personally don't wrap my suitcases. IF you want to so this and save some money you can always buy a cheap roll of clingwrap and do it at home b4 you leave. I use cable ties.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

Thanks but what exactly are cable ties and how do you use them?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos and luggage security

They are really strong strips of plastic that lock once you thread them though to make a loop that you can tighten. The only way to remove them is to cut them off. They come in packs of about 100 from the hardware store and cost about $5