We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Hi,

We were approached by this guy while strolling along Legian beach yesterday and 'won' a one-week accommodation with Royal Resorts.

We were supposed to spend an hour for a presentation to view their new resort in Jimbaran and 'help promote their resort' when we get home.

But upon arrival at their office in Jimbaran, we were told all their consultants were busy with other clients. They said it was their 'loss' but they would 'honour their promise'. We were given 2 free t-shirts and a reservation request form for a weeks' accommodation at a participating resort in Bali, Phuket or India.

Has anyone had any similar experience?

Do they actually honour their claim of a 1-week free accommodation?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,069 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Yes, yes and yes, we had a week at Royal, Jimbaran and it was lovely.

I do not see it as a scam, but it is definitely a case of going into it with your eyes wide open.

Do not sign up for anything without a long cooling off period..preferably back home.

These timeshare promotions have been a part of Bali for many years and we have been to the talks (I mean yawns) along with many others.

For us the timeshare arrangements do not suit the way we plan our holidays and travel, but for some, it does.

Caveat emptor.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 15:33
Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Thanks, Sue! I'll sure heed your advice.

Since we have just visited Bali, we thought we might just want to make plans to visit India.

We sure hope the one-week free accommodation is not limited to Bali alone.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

In 2002 I was approached outside Mata Hari, went to the sales office, saw the resort and joined Royal. They are a reputable company and not part of a scam. If time share suits your travel needs they won't disappoint you.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 23:16
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Not a scam but can be somewhat annoying.

My parents joined up with Royal resorts and we have all benifited from their membership. They honor the free weeks given but you are usually expected to attend a seminar about them and how they work and this is there way of selling a timeshare to you. You are in no obligation to join up and I guess a half day seminar for a week of free accomofdation aint bad.

But be careful, they can be very convincing. My husband was considering it after listening to them even though we have full use of my parents timeshare. Like I said, very convincing!

Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

David, it's good to know you appreciate their service and travel arrangements.

007, you are right - a half day in exchange for a week aint bad. Haha!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
755 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Not a scam. They are legit but the sales tactics can be annoying. The weeks they offer you as gifts are for real. We used the weeks years ago, also in India. The Royal resorts are actually quite nice properties.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Since joining I have stayed at their resorts at Jimbaren, Candi Dasa (my favourite), Gili Meno and Goa. When you join you are also invited to join RCI, the timeshare broker company. I have exchanged my week with Royal into the RCI pool and been to KL and Pattaya.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 23:53
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Good to hear. My family and I have just agreed to visit a resort promised to us by 'Bali Getaways' at Karma Kantara. we have to attend a 2 hour presentation to introduc us to the wonderful resorts run by Karma. I hope this isn't a scam as we are looking forward to our stay at the resort. Anyone who has used Bali Getaways let me know your thoughts.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 11:38
9. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2012, 00:05
Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 'Royal Resorts; Promoting Tourism in Bali' - is this a scam?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions.

We enjoyed our stay in Bali in May and are looking forward to returning next year.

We have written to Royal Bali Resorts to take up the one-week free stay in Jimbaran. However, we were told to pay US$150 to upgrade to a one bed apartment. (Our entitlement is a studio apartment and Jimbaran doesn't have a studio apartment.)

We are considering their offer in Sanur. Has anyone stayed in the studio apartment in Royal Bali Beach Club in Sanur? Any feedback is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!