We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Tipping

Do we need to tip the driver who picks us up from the airport? this has already been paid for, and if so how much?

gold coast qld
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

There has been a number of discussions on tipping. Personally I wouldn't tip the driver in that circumstance but its entirely up to you. I know others think you should tip on every such occasion. If you type "tipping" into the search section you will find lots of info there. Have a great holiday.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
308 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

The driver gets very little of the money that you pay. So we usually give him a tip.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I wouldn't normally tip a driver that was included in my accommodation.

It is however a personal thing.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

You don't need to tip anyone unless you feel like it, as suggested by MissPixie.

Certainly don't tip them if they give you lousy service as that would be a bit counterproductive, conversely if they give you great service then tip them if you wish to but it should not be something you feel you are compelled to do.

'Rounding up' is common with many of the things that are 'fee for service', that is essentially tipping of course.

My own personal attitude is if people start being assumptive and don't give me change I will often ask for it, if they give it to me without any playing about I often then round up the amount and give them some of it back.

Tipping staff such as hotel or villa housekeeping staff requires consideration per the circumstances.

Watch out for people playing games with money when giving change, I know this happens all over the world but some people are unfamiliar with it.

You pay for something, maybe it is a purchase of Rp15,000 by presenting a Rp100,000 note. Rp5,000 comes back (or nothing in the apparent anticipation you will walk away and forget). Then maybe Rp30,000 more after a long pregnant pause and they will look away and make out it is all dealt with, then the other Rp50,000 is finally presented.

There are a few versions of this technique used. I recall the last time I visited Sydney the practice was rampant, especially if mrs hurcules was paying.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 17:08
5. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:16