We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I do for this forum!!!!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Things I do for this forum!!!!

Well, as most of you know, I spend almost every evening when I’m in Bali doing fieldwork for TA forum members, ie eating out and trying new places! There are many new ones in the Seminyak/Petitenget/ Kerobokan areas but more about those later.

This post is about all the new restaurants that have sprouted in the Batubelig/Canggu area.

Oldies and goodies in the area include Warung Sobat and Warung Satya which were joined by Naughty Nuris about a year ago. In the last 4 months there has been a rapid increase in the number of eateries in the area and I’m doing my best to try them all!

In Batubelig is now a restaurant called PAVILION which is a beautiful structure with a lovely tented roof run by Vanessa. Pavilion has only been open for about a week so is still feeling it’s way. They have a grill menu and also the usual other items you find in Bali but they do have a range of salads. I had a salad which was very fresh and tasty and my husband grilled fish. This restaurant is a little more pricey than others in the area - 69,000 rupiah for a salad I found to be a bit on the expensive side but it was lovely!

LA TAPA is another restaurant on the same stretch of road - run by a Spanish lady. Obviously they serve tapas and sangria - Once again I found this to be expensive for the amount of food you get on your plate. The other problem is that for the last 2 days it has been closed when we have driven past, so I’m not sure what is happening there!

There are a couple more new restaurants on this road but I haven’t been to them, so can’t comment! I’m doing my best!

If you continue along this road to Canggu you will come across The Canggu Plaza which is, in fact, a group of 3 restaurants, a real estate agency (as if we need more of those in Bali!), a beauty salon upstairs (Esthetic) and a kids clothes shop. The restaurants are TRATTORIA, SUKSEMA and BOSSA NOVA and are respectively Italian, Japanese (Mainly sushi bar?) and Brazilian Churrascaria Grill - you know the kind, all you can eat meat, salads and desserts. The meat here is very good as are the salads. I have only had the pizzas at Trattoria (excellent with lovely fine crusts) so can’t comment on the rest of the menu. I don’t eat sushi so am unable to comment more on that restaurant except to say that all the fish is kept under the counter and refrigerated. Just an aside - I did have a lovely facial at Esthetic!

Moving further along this road to Jl Pantai Berawa there is yet another Eat Street starting here!

The first restaurant is KORMA, which I have yet to try but plenty of people eating in there so it can’t be too bad. Next door is BUTTER which was the 1st one on this strip - coffee and home made, delicious cakes are their specialty - their cakes are baked on the premises every morning. The lemon coconut ones are yummy and the coffee VERY good.

Further along is CANGGU CAFE (I think thats the name - something like that anyhow) which I have also yet to try (its on the list - I’m getting there in between going to all my old favourites!) Next door to that is INDOTOPIA which serves Vietnamese and Indonesian food with no MSG - as their signs all over the walls proclaim! This little restaurant is great, the PHO soup as good as in Vietnam and the cooking smells make you salivate the minute you walk in. Those of you who go to Ubud will be happy soon as they are shortly opening in Ubud.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be more restaurants opening in the strip as there is building going on and they don’t look like shops that are being built. That reminds me that there is a small deli that will open soon called Campur Deli but I have no idea what it will be like.

There is also a Mexican Warung in the street behind parallel to Jl Pantai Berawa which is reputed to be very good and there are also a lot more, smaller warungs in the area, I’m sure there are some very good ones!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

your research is much appreciated and valued ! Canggu is an area i have yet to explore, and i look forward to doing so in the future. Thankyou !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Wow thanks Ilab you are a gem.

Batubelig and Canggu,have certainly expanded with all the Villas popping up,The restaurants you have mentioned have made me hungry for Bali.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

You're just a bright and shining star :) :) :)

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Hi

It's very hard work but someone just has to do it!

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Yay more to add to the list!

Will definitely be checking out Indotopia I am a Pho Freak.

Thanks so much for your valuable information.

If you happen to check out Oazia Spavodka in Canggu please let us know about it!

perth
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

you have such a hard life! i will be in bali in a few weeks again and ive booked the brunch at the boneka which ive heard you coment on. is the other restaurant starting with a k at the st regis worth a try too? the food with drinks package sounds good, but i cant find what days or price this is (i understand it is about double the boneka) im going with my teenage son who likes a buffet (so he can eat himself to death) do you both have to take the drinks package? (he doesnt drink yet, someone has to get me back to the hotel in one piece)

also, that bossa nova sounds good. my son loves meat and anything brazillian. has anyone else tried it yet?

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Thank you so much for your efforts Ilab. I am wondering if these things you do for the forum members makes you put on a few kilos? If so, I guess you lose it running around looking at villas for the TA members :)

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Bosslady

I think you must have me mixed up with someone else as I far prefer the Sunday brunch at the W in Seminyak to either of the other 2 and I've tried them all, all for TA, you understand! Went to Starfish Bloo last Sunday at the W and it is better than ever. The price there is 395,000 for food welcome glass of bubbles, fruits juices, soft drinks and coffee and an extra 475,000 for the drinks package. I imagine it's much the same at the St Regis and the Conrad too?

Going back to the W this Sunday just to make sure it is as good as it was last Sunday-fabulous.

Cheers

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Haha Fame. I do go to the gym regularly here in Bali otherwise I'd be the size of a house! A girl does have to eat, you know!

Cheers

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things I do for this forum!!!!

Well Ilab, what can I say? I think Trip Advisor needs to create a new title "GE" Gourmand Expert!! You would romp it in for No 1 position!!!

Well done, as you say it is indeed a demanding task you have undertaken, and you are to be commended for enduring such sinful delights in the pursuit of excellence in dining for travellers to The Island of the Gods!

There is one title which you do not deserve and that is Cupak!

(God of Gluttony) lol!!!