We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver Dilemma!

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
760 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Driver Dilemma!

We have just returned from a 3 week visit to Bali and had a situation arise with a driver and we are not sure if we did the right thing. So I thought I would ask for your opinions or suggestions as to what was the right action to take. We had booked a driver (from the recommended list) to drive us from Munduk to Amed - he offered to take us to Git Git Waterfalls and Air Panas Banjar along the way at a cost of IDR400000. Unfortunately my husband developed an infection with a high fever the day before we were to travel and, after consultation with the owners of our accommodation, it was recommended that we seek the services of a doctor at a clinic in Ubud. We asked the driver to drive us to the clinic first and then on to Amed. When we exited the clinic the driver asked us to pay him IDR800000 to complete the trip. We were shocked and felt it was way too much - we had already decided that we would give him an extra IDR100000 for his services and were really put off by his demand. We indicated that we thought this was too much but I finally agreed to give him IDR650000. He had picked us up at 9 am and dropped us at our hotel before 3pm - less than 6 hours and this included a stop in Candidassa for lunch(we provided lunch for him as well). Was I justified in bargaining him down or should I have paid the amount he asked for, seeing that we had not followed our original plans?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver Dilemma!

I would have told him to go and jump. What you payed was the absolute maximum you would ever pay for a car in Bali and that would be for an 8am to 9pm trip. I have never payed more then 550k for a car for the day.

You definitely did the right thing. Personally I would post up his name so the rest of us can avoid him. Sounds like he did the take advantage thing to me.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver Dilemma!

Was he from DE Whinnies list compiled on here top right ----------------> or was he from the Trip Advisors list (which drivers can post on themselves?)

If it was ours, then PM Whinnie and she will contact the driver and look into it.

The above poster is right, that would never be the expected price.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver Dilemma!

You have been ripped off well and truely. As PLTT has stated, if he was from our recommended driver's list it has to be looked in to by Whinnie.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver Dilemma!

I agree with all the above.

I would have thought that the Driver would have had a bit of compassion with your husband being not well.

Plus you did not have him for the whole day, and then paying for his lunch.

Will be interesting to see who it was.

As this gives a bad name to the Good Drivers.

Hope this has not put you off for future trips to Bali.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver Dilemma!

You booked him for the day and it should not matter where you go . We have changed our minds many times and have never had any hassles this is not the way he should have behaved. You should name him so others can decided weather to use him or not.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver Dilemma!

I paid between Rp500-550k for drivers for day trip, some to the extent more than 12 hours on the road. A very good driver won't set the timing of 9-5 for you to complete the journey and they're not suppose to charge you extra for itinerary changes.

What you paid is really a cut throat price. Publish the name of the driver here.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver Dilemma!

Please let me know what the driver's name was. If this driver was on our Recommended Driver's List in the Top Questions about Bali section, this sort of behaviour is grounds for him to be immediately removed from the list. This dishonest behaviour is not acceptable on any list that has my name to it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver Dilemma!

Wow that's how much a day trip would cost if it were hired through a villa. It was appropriate to bargain down the price I think.

If it is from Whinnie's list then I would contact her with the name and details. And sort it out that way. Naming the driver here won't solve anything once this thread disappears onto the 3rd page and it is harder to find.

I hope your husband recovered quickly.

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
760 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver Dilemma!

Thank you for your responses. As he was on her list, I have contacted Whinnie and will leave it in her capable hands. I am conflicted about this as I would not want to deprive someone of a source of income but I also felt that we were taken advantage off, especially with the situation we found ourselves in.

My husband was given the right medications and made a complete recovery - thank you for you concern. Also, many thanks for your help when I was planning this trip. I will be adding information to the Munduk page as soon as I can.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver Dilemma!

Thank you Newfie for the info you gave me and your gut feel was correct, you were ripped off. This is not a driver that I know personally unfortunately and was recommended by a respected, but now absent, member when the list was first compiled.

Any driver who doesn't have his own car and works for a "boss" is basically just hiring the car from the "boss". That hire fee is a fixed rate and they know how much it is up front and should factor it into their original quote.

So this guys story about his boss wanting more money just isn't correct. You were forced to change the quoted itinerary and he saw an opportunity to make more money. Simple as that.

I am in discussion with some of the other DE's about it at present. But my instinct is to remove him from the list as this is just simple dishonesty.