We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Kalgoorlie...
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Hi guys, last year we travelled to Bali in October and just 'winged it' with accommodation and found places to stay that we loved.

This year, we're going in September. I've just realised that this is the 'high season' for Bali. Our trip does NOT coincide with the Australian school holidays (I specifically planned it that way). We have booked our first 3 nights in Sanur but I'm now wondering if I should book accommodation for the rest of the time we are there? I really don't want to do it this way as we don't like being 'tied down' to an area, we like to just float around whereever. What is your opinion on this? thank you very much

Perth
Level Contributor
656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

October can be just as busy as September. I find all the footy end of season trips hit Bali at the end of September and most of October.

If booking ahead I tend to wait for when I get a good deal (flight, accomodation and so on). Booking far ahead does not necessarily get you a good price, but it guarantees you a room.

However, if you just want to book on the day you'll probably be paying much more than booking ahead. Even booking on the Interent on the same day you want the accomodation will probably get you a much better price than just showing up at reception.

If you're not concerned about your travel budget then yes wing it and you'll probably find that no most accomodation won't be booked out. Unless, the hotel is really popular, of course.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 15:14
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,533 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

As with what has been said by Balirunner, I would not worry about accommoatuion bookings (apart from perhaps the first two nights) as long as you are not particularly wanting to get into a specific hotel/resort and don't want to spend precious holiday time, finding somewhere to stay.

It's definitely not something I do (probably because I am older/ish)...I have it booked and in place before I leave home, because I have travelled to Bali for so many years, I know exactly where I want to be and for how long.

Have a great holiday....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

We arrive in Bali on 18th September and had a lot of trouble finding accommodation. I received many emails stating sorry we are booked out for this period.

Due to the cost I did not try the big expensive resorts though.

We ended up booking private villas.

A lot of families head overseas a week before the school holidays start so maybe you should consider booking accommodation in advance.

Perth
Level Contributor
656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Loveaholiday: Are you trying to book direct with hotels or thtough a booking agent's website.

I ask because many sites say they do deal with xy or z hotel so when you put the dates in of your holiday they'll say there's no accomodation so instead they suggest their option: ab or c hotel.

The reason this happens is that some booking sites only deal (book) with certain hotel groups so technically they lie and say that your prefered hotel/villa is booked out.

This is particuarly the case when booking villas.

I try to always book direct or with a reputable agent.

Most booking websites (like Expedia.com) aren't reputable.

I know because after being told that one hotel was booked out I contacted the hotel who then told me they had heaps of rooms available.

In other instances when the site does deal with a certain hotel group they'll always tell you there is only one room left. So, in other words, book now.

Another trick these companies use!

Edited: 29 June 2012, 13:21
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Thanks for the info Bali runner.

Yes I mostly sent emails directly to the hotels and got the response sorry we are booked for this period. I have also used Agoda previously but didn't

find anything suitable this time.

Ended up using flip key and found a few options for private villas. Hopefully they are as nice as they look in the photos.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

I'm staying in September and I found a lot of the popular cheap places were booked out :( as in the places that I had in mind to stay in, Id love to "wing it" but I feel safe in knowing I have a nice place to stay without running around (dont know Bali very well either).

I'm annoyed that I just figured out that TA separates B&Bs to hotels/villas o.O

and some of the B&Bs are cheaper and nicer.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

I would book before unless you were not fussy on the area you stayed or how much you paid. I also like to know where I am staying beforehand and not waste holiday time dropping in to different places asking if they have rooms and bartering for prices.

Bali runner....with the booking agents they only buy so many rooms so when they say 'sold out' they mean THEY are sold out not that the hotel itself is sold out. You can quite often see that booking.com is sold out but then Agoda or Wotif or the hotel direct are not. This is why.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Balirunner - re comment "I know because after being told that one hotel was booked out I contacted the hotel who then told me they had heaps of rooms available."

This is because hotels give allocations to the booking sites eg. 10 rooms to wotif, qantas, expedia etc. When they have exhausted their allocation then they tell people that the hotel is full. When we went to Hong Kong some years ago I rang direct the hotel where we wanted to stay but they were booked out, however they knew that one of the booking agents had some rooms available so they told us which agent to go to. The hotel couldn't contracturally take the rooms off the agent. So it works in reverse too!!

I agree that some booking sites tell you there is only one room left when in fact they have several.

Lou

Perth
Level Contributor
656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

Exactly my point Lou and I think you'll find most if not all will say they only have one room left, even if they've been allocated 10 rooms by the hotel.

It's an old sales trick! In other words, BUY NOW, or miss out.

The other trick is to say it's booked out, when they never deal with the hotel in the first place.Then they'll suggest you book some other hotels that they do deal with or that pays them a better commission/booking fee.

In the end, the consumer pays more!

Edited: 03 July 2012, 02:38
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali in September - should we book accommodation in advance?

at the end of the day it's entirely up to you but personally i like to make sure that my accommodation is booked as i can't be bothered walking the streets looking for places to stay anymore,not to mention haggling for prices.i reckon there will be one eastern state in australia that will be on holidays .