We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using wifi

Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
using wifi

Hi - lots of places I have seen in Bali have free wifi. just wondering if i want to use these on my phone to check facebook or check back on all the great tips on here can i do this without being charged roaming on my mobile. Can you change a setting on your phone so it does not connect to your home network, only free wifi or NOTHING. I know this is not an exclusive bali question, but thought so many regular travelers on here one of you would know... plus I had a scary bill last trip when I thought I was using the free wifi and turns out I wasn't.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using wifi

Hi,

You sure can, what phone are you using ?i.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: using wifi

On iphone you go to the settings.

Then General / Networks

There you turn off Cellular Data and Data Roaming.

From ios 5.1, should be close on previous versions.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using wifi

Yes you can - I do it all the time and don't bother with sims and the like. You can also use apps like Viber and Line to keep in touch with family at home while you have wifi.

I see Ochervet has given instructions for iPhones :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using wifi

I have nokia n97 mini. I will have a play and see if the settings are similiar - thanks guys:)

Hastings, Australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: using wifi

You could also just take the SIM card out... Most phones still work (obviously no calls) without them. Try it at home first to ensure it will work.

Edited: 24 July 2012, 00:44
Melbourne
Level Contributor
859 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using wifi

never thought of that. Will try it.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using wifi

Yes you can pick up wifi networks independent of your SIM.

But in any case, it is a very worthwhile idea to make sure your phone is unlocked and getting an Indonesian SIM card. They cost less than a dollar (local price) and are pay-as-you-go, no contract involved.

Invaluable for calling drivers, contacting accommodations and communicating with other travellers you meet on your travels. And for any emergencies, or for phoning back home very cheaply. Roaming charges are outrageous, but phone calls from an Indonesian SIM are very cheap, including international. Telkomsel is a good company, and if you use the code 01017 before a call to eg Australia, it costs about 10cents a minute.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: using wifi

My partner and I used flight mode when we were overseas in Feb. it allows you to leave the phone on (so you can still use a currency converter or calculator or notes on addresses etc) and then when you enter somewhere with wifi I turn the wifi on and turn off the flight mode so I spend all of 5c connecting to the roaming and then nothing else. So worth it.

9. Re: using wifi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16