We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day 2 in legian... Cooking school

Melbourne
Level Contributor
843 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
day 2 in legian... Cooking school

so started off the day with breakfast, entertaining the hotel staff with my terrible balinese. selection of hot dishes was different today choice of nasi goreng, baked beans and beef pattis.... didnt eat too much as i had been warned that she feeds you a lot in the cooking class. maria met us at the hotel reception about 15 minutes early and we were off. She offered to take us on the market tour before cooking class, and i was glad we did. So many things i never would have tried, that were actually very nice. then we got a taxi from the market to her room.

Like i had been warned, her room is small and if you were expecting a fancy cooking school you could be put off, but everything was spotless. She gave a a coke each and then starting arranging all the herbs and spices on plates with lables so we knew what they were for. After watching for a fair while she said it was our turn to chop and "smash". We smashed the spices for ages, still wasnt smooth enough! Eventually we got the go ahead and we got to go outside and cook the ingredients on the outside wok burner. When everything was ready we sat down to eat with Maria (nasi goreng, sweet spicey chicken, chop chay, friend chicken and vegetable with shrimp).

I have coeliac disease and my husband is allergic to all nuts, we had emailed Maria about this and she made sure all the recipes we made were safe for both of us. Maria even offered to email me some more gluten free ideas for balinese and indonesian sweets. So after a very large meal (we told her to give the leftovers to her son and friend, way too much food for us) she caught a taxi back to hotel with us and took off on her pushbike back to her room. We paid 350k each for the class which included pick up and the market tour. 300k if you dont want to market. We left the hotel at 10.45am and didnt get back til 3:300m so well and truly worth it.

So to burn off the lunch we walked down to Miss Debbys in Garlic lane. went to the shop and asked to be shown out the back. Hubby got 3 ck undies and I got 2 long knit / stretch type dresses and one short one and some sunnies. 300k all up. Then went over to see the famous Ketuts shop. Wasnt too impressed. Didnt buy anything there.

On the walk home stopped at total cushion for a quote on some mat covers. The man was very helpful but wouldnt budge to less than 5 times what i had paid last trip... Went next door to pillow 514 and got exactly what i needed, for same price as i paid last year, with double stitching and a handle... So i was a happy chappy. 250k for single bed size and 400k for queen bed size out of waterproof outdoor fabric. Grabbed a magnum for the walk home.... They are sooo cheap here. Then lay by the pool and had a swim.

Complained to the room attendent that i still did not have hot water. After an hour or so of investigating maintance guy comes in to tell me, we do have hot water, just have turn turn the cold tap all the way on. This room was plumbed in opposite. Felt pretty dumb, but woohoo hot water! Went to silicia? Spa down near jayakarta and i had foot reflexology and hubby had a massage. Very relaxing spa and quality massages. Couple of drunk aussies came in for massage and kept getting told to shoosh! Pretty funny. Then i was so tired all my plans of going to one of the recommended restaurants went out the window. Went to Yutz on the way home. I had snapper which was lovely. Hubby had sweet and sour prawn. We got to welcome drinks (frozen slushie type) and a garlic bread free. Hubby had a small bintang. Total bill was 140k. thats it for day two. Now i need suggestions of anywhere i can get bebi guling by the serve, as there are only two of us and i cant eat a whole pig!

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day 2 in legian... Cooking school

Excuse me for my ignorance but what are mat covers?

Pam

Melbourne
Level Contributor
843 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day 2 in legian... Cooking school

sorry Pam, covers for my mats.... like matresses but we use them at the gym for kids to roll around on. hahah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day 2 in legian... Cooking school

Your cooking class sounded very good and also a good price.

Try Bali Beach Shack in Garlic Lane for your Bubi Giling,speak to the owner as they often have groups in for that and if there is only the two of you they will organize it that if you come on that night they will serve it to you with all the traditional trimmings.

Otherwise they have a roast dinner night every Sunday and the pork is lovely.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
843 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day 2 in legian... Cooking school

thanks TLM, walked past there the other day and it looked fun, might pop in and ask about it today. Cooking class was great, only hubby and me, but she says she can fit up to 5 people if there is a bigger group of friends that come togther.

5. Re: day 2 in legian... Cooking school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 10:17