We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Hi

I will be staying at Ubud, and i intend to visit lake Bratan ( because of the nice temple by the lake)

but i was told by a tour guide lake Brantan is out of the way. Is it true? but another tour guide web site manage to visit both place

see below

www.bali-day-trip.com/Ubud-bedugul-Tours.html

Also, at lake Batur, do they have the similar type of temple by the lake like lake Bratan?

Many thanks in advance

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Lake Bratan and Lake Batur are not in the same area and are usually done on different days. Lake Batur does not have a temple on the lake like Bratan.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Wow, you would be exhausted after that day of touring - too many places in one day to get a full appreciation of any of them as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Somehow i was given the impression that lake Batur has similar temple by the lake ( may be google image mislead me)

i think i will only lake Bratan.

Is it out of the way from Ubud? Do i need to travel down ( Kuta Area) before i proceed north towards Lake Bratan?

Thanks

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

There is a beautiful temple high above Lake Batur - but it is not in, or on the lake. It is however, the second most important temple in Bali, and is very big. As part of your entrance fee, a guide will be allocated and you can ask to be taken "to see the view" - an area which overlooks the volcano and the lake, with Mt Agung in the background. The temple was wonderful, and as we went a couple of days after full moon, there were still some ceremonies taking place.

We got there quite early, about 8.45am, and the cloud had not yet come down on the mountains, making the view quite spectacular. We also avoided most of the hawkers when we looked at the view from the restaurant area, further down the hill. BTW, I've never read anything postive or good about the food in these restaurants - so you may prefer to avoid eating there.

We followed the temple visit with a drive around the villages and garden areas around the lake.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Hi cbimages

I am always confused by the image at the web. see below. the following website show a temple by the lake at Lake Batur.

If i can find such temple to visit in Batur, may be i can save the trouble to go all the way to Bratan

www.google.com.sg/imgres…

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

Zingwalker, the picture on the website is Ulun Danu at Lake Bratan. The information given that it is on the west bank of Lake Batur is not correct. If this is the temple you want to see, you have to go to Lake Bratan.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

fame is correct, the temple in the photo is definltely at Lake Bratan. You cannot go into this temple as it surrounded by water.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

the temple at bratan danau is accessible by land. some parts of the complex of temples are on small islands. these are viewable from the temple or hire a canoe and paddle around them.

the lake is about 40 minutes drive from ubud.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

rockterrigal, we were not allowed to go into the actual temple (the part on the land or the island) when we were there - the gate was locked. We just got to wander around the grounds etc. At no time were we asked to wear a sarong/sash etc. Was your experience different? I would have liked to go into the small temple on the island, but was told it was not possible.

Other temples, such as Pura Danau Batur, allow visitors who are appropriately dressed to visit most areas.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting lake Bratan from Ubud and temple at Brantan/Batur

i paddled around the islands of the small temples. access seemed to be the main problem. the main complex had a large number of tourists walking through it.

things may have been different to your experience due to any number of reasons.